Help support TMP

"The Octopus King Tigers - Battle of Kassel 1945" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

Featured Hobby News Article

Top-Rated Ruleset

A Fistful of TOWs

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Showcase Article

25mm Soviet Rifle Squad, Advancing

It's hard to find 25mm Russians in the early-war summer uniform, but here they are!

Featured Workbench Article

Battlefront's BA-6 Armored Car

Dave Bennett of Lone Star Historical Miniatures paints up some WWII Soviet armored cars for TMP - and demonstrated how to use chalk for weathering.

Featured Profile Article

First Look: Battlefront's 1:100 Puma Scout Troop

We take a look at a kit that builds three different vehicle variants.

Featured Book Review

698 hits since 26 Sep 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP26 Sep 2020 3:27 p.m. PST

"This is the story of the last eight King Tigers, with unusual 'Octopus' camouflage, that rolled off the production line in Kassel and straight into battle against the US Army in April 1945."

YouTube link

Amicalement
Armand

deephorse27 Sep 2020 2:24 a.m. PST

So how much did that video tell me about Octopus King Tigers? Absolutely nothing. As far as I know there's only one photo of such a Tiger II, and that wasn't shown until 7 minutes into a 9 minute video. It will be familiar to many here anyway. There was no verbal mention of this very unusual camouflage scheme at all. So the video is of some value with regard to the battle for Kassel, but don't expect to learn anything about the 'Octopus' camouflage.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP27 Sep 2020 3:53 p.m. PST

Glup!….

Amicalement
Armand

mkenny27 Sep 2020 5:56 p.m. PST

link

Perhaps someone could send Mark Felton the link and he can update his Youtube video and present it all as his own 'original research'.
The comments on his films are so depressing. Its the blind leading the blind………….

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP28 Sep 2020 6:26 a.m. PST

Regardless very interesting link mkenny, thanks for providing it.

Legion 429 Sep 2020 9:28 a.m. PST
Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP29 Sep 2020 12:43 p.m. PST

Legion 4, thanks for providing that link. I have oft seen that King Tiger with the reversed Swastika, but never realised the significance of its camouflage scheme.

Which begs the question, did it work? A lot of effort goes into this. It looks awful however. It is not remotely as attractive as the "Ambush scheme" in Normandy, the dappled woodland effect. But even that we are now told that made not the slightest difference at the ranges WWII tank battles were fought. (But it looks superb on models, so maybe that is why they….etc)

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP29 Sep 2020 12:49 p.m. PST

Thanks!.

Amicalement
Armand

Legion 429 Sep 2020 3:50 p.m. PST

I know many of the WWII German AFV camo schemes. But had to look this up to be sure. As it was late war and not wide spread. May try it on some of my 6mm Sci-fi Human AFVs ? evil grin

Did it work ? Well they lost, but we now have camo'd AFVs as SOP. Along with camo uniforms. Chalk it up to lessons learned, IMO …

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.