Help support TMP

"Painting Horses Hooves" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Painting Guides Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Ruleset

Tin Soldiers in Action

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Profile Article

First Look: Black Seas

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian explores the Master & Commander starter set for Black Seas.

Current Poll

Featured Book Review

802 hits since 23 Sep 2020
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

britishbulldog24 Sep 2020 4:18 a.m. PST

I do not know if anyone else has come across the paint Tamiya X-19 Smoke. I use it to paint the the hooves of horses. It is an opaque dark grey and the finish dries to a good representation of an hoof more than suitable for the gaming board.

JimDuncanUK24 Sep 2020 6:22 a.m. PST

I rarely paint horses hooves these days as they tend to be obscured with static grass and tufts.

Widowson24 Sep 2020 8:49 a.m. PST

IIRC, hooves below white socks are a different color, like raw sienna or something.

Personal logo Cardinal Ximenez Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2020 10:58 a.m. PST

Nice catch, BB. I'm about to replenish my stock of Tamiya paints at a local shop and will pick up a bottle while I'm there. NATO Black also works as it's more of a very dark gray.

Steamingdave224 Sep 2020 11:27 a.m. PST

I am in the same camp as Jim Duncan, except for some of my 28mm display figures.

Personal logo SHaT1984 Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2020 12:10 p.m. PST

Yep, unless he's a dancer, mine get black wash undercoated, then splashed with whatever horsey colours go on top. Sometimes a flick of the socks ends up down there, but it doesnt matter…

14Bore24 Sep 2020 12:39 p.m. PST

link

I generally use a fawn color, light and dark grey.

Brian Smaller24 Sep 2020 6:44 p.m. PST

Painting horses hooves. LOL. Surely you jest.

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP25 Sep 2020 11:23 a.m. PST

I basecoat mine medium gray, then highlight with thinned Russian brown. A quick sepia wash and then a dry brush with a very pale color, often ivory of bone.

The horse shoes I do in a mix of metallic steel and semi-gloss black highlighted with chainmail, then drybrushed with dirt.

Or am I kidding?

Widowson25 Sep 2020 12:24 p.m. PST

I do try to give an impression of a horse shoe on feet that are raised. Just a sort of upstroke drybrush of steel at the bottom of the hoof.

14Bore26 Sep 2020 9:42 a.m. PST

Never thought about painting horse shoes on up turned hooves, great idea

britishbulldog30 Sep 2020 3:16 a.m. PST

Thanks for your comments gentlemen.

The detail that is shown on some of the miniatures painted by contributors to this site can be quite inspiring and in my opinion the same effort should be made when painting a horse that is being represented in the same context.
Like Widowson I too, paint the horseshoe on an upturned hoof and before anyone asks – no I do not paint the nails, not in 28mm and nor do I paint the dirt like Extra Crispy.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.