Help support TMP

"Mickey Spillane’s Mike Hammer season 2 (1959)" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Pulp Media Message Board

Areas of Interest

Fantasy
World War One
World War Two on the Land
Science Fiction

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Profile Article

288 hits since 27 Jul 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP27 Jul 2020 10:10 p.m. PST

"In the late 1940s Mickey Spillane revolutionised the private eye novel by massively increasing the amount of sex and violence and adding a dash of sadism for good measure. Critics were aghast but readers loved Spillane's Mike Hammer crime thrillers which went on to sell several hundred million copies.

Bringing Mike Hammer to the small screen in the late 1950s was always going to be quite a challenge. The sex and violence wold have to be dialled way way down. The danger was that Hammer would end up being just another generic television private eye. The syndicated Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer TV series (which debuted in 1958 and lasted for 78 episodes) somehow managed to solve this insoluble problem. It retains at least some of the flavour of Spillane's novels and it's astonishingly violent for its time. It adds some humour to make things a bit more palatable but it's still pretty hard-edged.

As played by Darren McGavin Mike Hammer is not just tougher, more ruthless, more sadistic and more violent than other TV private eyes of the era, he's tougher, more ruthless, more sadistic and more violent than any American TV private eye I can think from the 60s and 70s as well. McGavin's Hammer handles things like extracting information from reluctant sources pretty much the way the Hammer of the novels does – by a judicious mixture of extreme violence and intimidation…"

picture

Main page
link

Do you remember?….(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Shagnasty Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2020 7:54 a.m. PST

Although a big Darren McGavin fan I missed this show. maybe it will crop up on some retro channel.

USAFpilot28 Jul 2020 9:54 a.m. PST

I watched the 1980's version of Mike Hammer as a teenager. About the only thing i remember from the show was that Hammer had a hot secretary and he was always 'hooking up' each week with some new 'dame'. lol

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2020 11:56 a.m. PST

(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Personal logo The Virtual Armchair General Sponsoring Member of TMP28 Jul 2020 1:05 p.m. PST

Here they are on YouTube: YouTube link

TVAG

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP29 Jul 2020 12:35 p.m. PST

Thanks…

Amicalement
Armand

pvi99th25 Aug 2020 4:06 p.m. PST

I own basically every film version of Hammer. I have the 50s TV show, the 80s and 90s Keach show, and all of the movies. The only thing I don't have is the radio show. There are a few online but not all of them.

I also am rereading the Spillane books, keeping up with the Spillane/Collins books and have the book reprint of the comic strip.

I may be obsessed.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.