Help support TMP

"Outside Max Range, of course!" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Wargaming in General Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Showcase Article

Featured Workbench Article

Forest Bases on a Budget

Holy Roman Emperor Joseph III Fezian shows us that you don't need money to have great bases.

Featured Book Review

415 hits since 11 Jun 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian11 Jun 2020 10:36 p.m. PST

You were asked – TMP link

For scenarios, how far apart do you like to start forces?

35% said "1-2 moves by each side outside max engagement range"

14% said "3 moves by each side outside max engagement range"

11% said "let the armies march to their point of engagement"

advocate12 Jun 2020 1:09 a.m. PST

I missed this one, but I notice no one mentioned the half-way house of using blinds or jump-off points which gives a kind of pre-game before deployment but brings troops closer before they get placed on the table.

MajorB12 Jun 2020 1:36 p.m. PST

"Outside Max Range, of course!"

Of course. Duh …

UshCha13 Jun 2020 11:01 a.m. PST

The key is really to me outside effective range. A rifle can shoot 800m or even more but not in typical hands. Th eUK use a limited number of weapons for engagements over 400m, so typicaly 400m not max range. In an urban environment max engagement may be a few hundred yards or less so deployinmg even 400m apart may be unnecessary. If you want to say start dbeploying a BMP Motor rifle regiment from march column to final battle column and then into mat require 10km for either side 20 a 20km gap.

It really depends what you want to simulate, or if you just want to throw dice and look at the pretty's as they advance the last few yards.

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP14 Jun 2020 8:14 a.m. PST

The key is really to me outside effective range. A rifle can shoot 800m or even more but not in typical hands.

Which is why the OP for the poll specified "engagement range", not maximum theoretical range of the longest reach weapon on the board.

Engagement range is usually (but not always) shorter than max effective range (which is subjective based on the assumed effective Pk) and takes into account operational considerations as well as the functional ones for max effective.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.