Help support TMP

"More unit size queries" Topic

4 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SYW Message Board

Areas of Interest

18th Century

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Showcase Article

28mm Acolyte Vampires - Based

The Acolyte Vampires return - based, now, and ready for the game table.

Featured Profile Article

180 hits since 22 May 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

von Schwartz22 May 2020 6:52 p.m. PST

I currently am building some SYW units for use with Koenig Krieg rules. I have also used an old rule set called "Frederick the Great" now out of print. In both sets they had army lists for the primary participants. Both lists gave the Austrian line infantry a size advantage, 16 figures per battalion vs 12 figures per battalion for other nationalities. Also, in KK they give the Swiss regiments in French service, and the British Highland regiments too I believe, a size advantage, 16 vs 12 again. Are these based in fact and would it be appropriate, i.e. historically correct, to make these regiments/battalions larger?

BTW, the figure/soldier ratios for both rule sets I mentioned was, 1 infantry/cavalry figure equals 50 infantry soldiers or cavalry troopers w/mounts, 1:50. So 12 figures equals 600 troops, 16 figures equals 800 troops. Please, I know about "book size" vs actual troops on hand is quite different due to casualties and other factors, so please, no long dissertations about attrition, just assume that I am building all units to book strength.

mollinary23 May 2020 10:53 a.m. PST

Everything you want is available on kronoskaf.com

DFLange Supporting Member of TMP23 May 2020 2:54 p.m. PST

Kronoskaf is an excellent source and you should check it out for a variety of reasons. I have found the numbers in Koenig Krieg to be pretty accurate for "book" size. The official establishment of Austrian, Highland and Swiss in French service were higher than most other battalions.

von Schwartz24 May 2020 5:12 p.m. PST

Thanks I've always thought it easier to take figures off if you're playing opposite a real pundit who insists on using
"real" unit strengths, i.e. with attrition taken into account.

Actually, I do use Kronoskaf as my "go to" reference for pretty much all things SYW. But recently I've seen some contradictory information and I was wondering if it is common practice among other gamers of the period to use higher unit strengths.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.