Help support TMP

"Are Your Underthings Showing?" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please do not use bad language on the forums.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Painting Message Board

Action Log

09 Oct 2021 4:23 a.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from Utter Drivel boardRemoved from TMP Poll Suggestions board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Recent Link

Featured Book Review

910 hits since 13 May 2020
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

TMP logo

Membership

Please sign in to your membership account, or, if you are not yet a member, please sign up for your free membership account.
Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP14 May 2020 9:36 a.m. PST

Specifically with respect to painting your minis and how much effort you put on undersides of models.

Do you just slap some base colour underneath and leave it at that? Maybe make the underside a shade darker, but no more effort? Or are the undersides just as detailed as the part everyone sees?

I generally try to shade with lighter colours on top and darker ones underneath, but I still do not put significant effort into the true underside of a mini. Stuff like the bottom of a tunic where you would have to flip over the mini and twist the angle to catch a glimpse (for … reasons?) or the undercarriage of a car or jeep.

Skeets Supporting Member of TMP14 May 2020 10:01 a.m. PST

Sounds like an OCD issue to me!

Oberlindes Sol LIC Supporting Member of TMP14 May 2020 10:08 a.m. PST

Miniatures be laid on their sides or tops, for example if a fighter becomes a casualty, or a vehicle gets flipped over by an IED.

For that reason, I paint the undersides of things. I paint the undersides of bases the same color as the top (usually dark gray), the insides of skirts or kilts the same color as the skirt or kilt (it's already on my brush anyway), etc.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP14 May 2020 10:47 a.m. PST

Funny, I was pondering this question a few days ago while I was holding a painting stick upside down in order to reach the underside of a 15mm figure. At that point I decided that I was getting too ridiculous and stopped. If the only way I can see something is by holding it upside down, it doesn't matter whether I paint it or not.

Coyotepunc and Hatshepsuut14 May 2020 11:28 a.m. PST

Frequently, my miniatures are displayed above eye-level for many viewers (we have significant height disparities in our family) and so the undersides are very important too.

Personal logo Bashytubits Supporting Member of TMP14 May 2020 11:37 a.m. PST

I have seen the underthings your troops have, its not pretty…

Slow Oats14 May 2020 12:38 p.m. PST

As a general rule, if I can reach something easily it can easily be seen, and if I can't it can't. When it comes to hard to reach spots I tend to just get some color in there to create a shadow and hide the primer. I save the detail work for where it will be seen, which is both easier to do and more pleasing to look at.

So it's not really about under vs. over, it's about visible vs. obscured.

Legion 414 May 2020 1:09 p.m. PST

I only do 6mm … so pretty much every thing get painted. But I don't normally paint the undersides of Vehicles.

Syrinx014 May 2020 4:30 p.m. PST

I generally paint the underside with the base shade color and if easy to reach, a bit of the midtone. As Slow Oats noted, if I can't reach it you can't see it.

von Schwartz14 May 2020 4:49 p.m. PST

Of course, they can't very well go into battle commando…unless of course they are commandos…it's all very confusing!

Personal logo Yellow Admiral Supporting Member of TMP14 May 2020 6:17 p.m. PST

I paint the undersides of all my airplanes, and even put decals on them. grin

Personal logo Yellow Admiral Supporting Member of TMP14 May 2020 6:23 p.m. PST

I have an ongoing internal debate about what to do with the undersides of ships and land vehicles. For the most part the underside is invisible, but there are times when I want to turn the vehicle on its side (sinking ships, brewed up trucks/tanks/cars, etc.), and for that I want it dark (since the undersides of these things are never cast to look realistic).

OTOH, there are also plenty of vehicle types on which I print important information, and for that I want a light color so the print is legible. I have a bunch of 1/2400 ships that are white underneath for this reason.

I split the difference with the minis I painted for Ogre/GEV, painting the bottoms black and writing in white. This may be a better approach. I'm considering repainting the 1/2400 WWI and WWII fleet undersides in "hull red" – it just seems a more appropriate color, even if the actual underwater part of the hull is missing.

- Ix

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.