Help support TMP

"Product review: Blog or video?" Topic

15 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please be courteous toward your fellow TMP members.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Videos of War Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Action Log

13 May 2020 9:33 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Changed title from "Product review; Blog or video?" to "Product review: Blog or video?"Removed from Modern Painting Guides boardRemoved from Modern Product Reviews boardRemoved from WWII Painting Guides boardRemoved from SF Painting Guides boardRemoved from SF Product Reviews boardRemoved from WWII Models Review boardCrossposted to Videos of War board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

Stan Johansen Miniatures' Painting Service

A happy customer writes to tell us about a painting service...

Featured Workbench Article

Drilling Holes in Minis - Part III: Going Larger

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian weighs the pros and cons of using a power drill on the minis workbench.

Featured Profile Article

An Interview with Editor Claire

An interview with the most reclusive of our editors...

Current Poll

469 hits since 12 May 2020
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

whitphoto Supporting Member of TMP13 May 2020 8:07 p.m. PST

Do you guys prefer a blog post or a youtube video when it comes to reviewing miniatures? Do you care as long as it has good pictures/video, painted and unpainted examples, and some kind of scale comparison? Or does the form of the content matter to you?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian13 May 2020 8:09 p.m. PST

Blog post usually, I don't often want to sit all the way through a video. Unless there is something you can show better through a video.

A blog entry, I can skim, I can skip through, I can go straight to the conclusion then read more if I want to. grin

Thresher0113 May 2020 8:36 p.m. PST

Yea, I agree, I prefer to read, since many videos can be overly long and tedious.

Some can be really good though.

Oberlindes Sol LIC Supporting Member of TMP13 May 2020 9:09 p.m. PST

Me, too. Prefer to read and look at still pictures.

Anton Ryzbak13 May 2020 9:28 p.m. PST

Blog Post, with good photos and a description of any issues with use of the product or historical accuracy

parrskool13 May 2020 10:18 p.m. PST

….. a surprising number of video makers do not prepare what they intend to say before hand and as such there is often a lot of irrelevant "umming" and "erring" …. … they ramble around the subject instead of getting on with it….. IMO

BTCTerrainman Supporting Member of TMP14 May 2020 3:34 a.m. PST

For the most part, I am not a fan of sitting and watching videos, and a really dislike podcasts. I am still a fan of the written word.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP14 May 2020 5:41 a.m. PST

Another vote for the written word.

IronDuke596 Supporting Member of TMP14 May 2020 8:36 a.m. PST

Blog post.

ZULUPAUL Supporting Member of TMP14 May 2020 8:44 a.m. PST

Blog

Given up for good14 May 2020 1:36 p.m. PST

Video for figures to give a good view all the way around and scale comparisons with other ranges.
Video for scenic items showing figures fir scale.

Blog for unboxing and reviews of board games
Blog for after action reports

Neither for live games or what I bought at shows (esp piles of figures or bags).

Brownand15 May 2020 8:56 a.m. PST

Blog for all

jwdoom15 May 2020 3:37 p.m. PST

Generally blog. If you do videos making extensive use of Youtube's share beginning at a specific time feature could be useful.

Must Contain Minis16 May 2020 12:19 a.m. PST

Blog posts for me too, but I also write for two different blogs. :)

Must Contain Minis13 Nov 2020 7:55 p.m. PST

I just started doing YouTube Reviews in addition to Blog Reviews of products. At this time, the written work is slightly more visited than the videos. :)

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.