Help support TMP

"Nicholas Dawlish (1845-1918)" Topic

4 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please be courteous toward your fellow TMP members.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Naval Gaming 1898-1929 Message Board

Back to the Napoleonics Scenarios Message Board

Back to the Age of Sail Message Board

Areas of Interest

Renaissance
18th Century
Napoleonic
19th Century
World War One

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Recent Link

Featured Ruleset

NWS: Naval Warfare World War 1

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Showcase Article

1:700 Black Seas British Brigs

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian paints brigs for the British fleet.

Featured Workbench Article

Featured Book Review

872 hits since 29 Apr 2020
©1994-2023 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP30 Apr 2020 9:30 p.m. PST

""Nicholas Dawlish is for me a real person whose life I am researching," says author Antoine Vanner. "I want to document not just his distinguished public career but also the more obscure aspects of his life and that of his no-less impressive wife."

Admiral Sir Nicholas Dawlish is probably best remembered today for leaving retirement in 1914, at the request of his friend and sometime rival Lord Fisher, to assume responsibility for Unconventional Naval Operations. His imaginative filling of that role, and his death at the age of seventy-two on the Zeebrugge Mole, where he fell in a hail of machine-gun fire on St. George's Day 1918, (making him the oldest serving officer to fall in action in either World War), ended an illustrious career in a manner which he would have found wholly appropriate…"
Main page
dawlishchronicles.com/dawlish

Amicalement
Armand

Bozkashi Jones30 Apr 2020 10:14 p.m. PST

Spoilers, Armand, spoilers!

Actually, I've never really got on with the Dawlish books ripping yarns and great fun, but once the naval action is over I've not found the writing engaging enough to finish the book.

That said, Vanner's done a great job in researching and highlighting some fascinating episodes of the ironclad era, including highlighting some fascinating 'what ifs'.

Nick

Bob the Temple Builder01 May 2020 2:49 a.m. PST

I've read and enjoyed all the books … and I understand from Antoine Vanner that he is currently writing the next book in the series.

He has also written some short stories that can be downloaded and read electronically.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP01 May 2020 10:29 a.m. PST

(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.