Help support TMP

"Books on the Prussians in the Waterloo Campaign?" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Ruleset

Featured Book Review

521 hits since 24 Mar 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

OldReliable186224 Mar 2020 9:33 a.m. PST

I'm looking for books covering the Waterloo campaign, and in particular the Prussian army's role in it. While I plan to read Hofschr÷er, one has to remember he has an axe to grind. There is also John Hussey's more recent work on the campaign, but I know very little about it.

JimDuncanUK24 Mar 2020 10:02 a.m. PST

I liked Hofschr÷er.

link

4th Cuirassier24 Mar 2020 11:12 a.m. PST

I feel Hofschroer pays insufficient attention to the role in the campaign of the Emperor's Harry Styles.

JimDuncanUK24 Mar 2020 12:12 p.m. PST

Who is this Harry Styles?

138SquadronRAF Supporting Member of TMP24 Mar 2020 1:37 p.m. PST

You realise if you stand in front of a mirror and say "Mad Hoffy" three times, Peter Hofschroer will return to the internet….

14Bore24 Mar 2020 2:20 p.m. PST

I have used "He who shall not be named" for my Prussian army so would suggest going for it.

4th Cuirassier25 Mar 2020 5:39 a.m. PST

@ Jim Duncan

He's a relative of Adrian Chiles.

JimDuncanUK25 Mar 2020 7:37 a.m. PST

And Adrian Chiles is?

4th Cuirassier25 Mar 2020 8:17 a.m. PST

Similarly related to Farmer Giles.

Whirlwind25 Mar 2020 8:17 a.m. PST

I'm looking for books covering the Waterloo campaign, and in particular the Prussian army's role in it.

You could try this: link

JimDuncanUK25 Mar 2020 8:19 a.m. PST

OK, I did some 'googling'.

Harry Styles seems to be a pop star but I don't think I've seen his name in wargaming circles before.

I got 'Hofschr÷er' straightaway since I had read some of his books on military history.

I had to 'google' Adrian Chiles as well as he didn't ring any 'historian' bells with me. I am well read in military history terms but a so called celebrity who presents football programs is not a connection I can easily make.

If you had dropped 'Angus Konstam' or 'Iain Gale' or 'Duncan Macfarlane' into the mix I would have been with you.

Rittmester25 Mar 2020 8:28 a.m. PST

I agree with Whirlwind, "On Waterloo: Clausewitz, Wellington, and the Campaign of 1815" is a very interesting read.

Historydude1827 Mar 2020 2:23 p.m. PST

Try the Osprey Men At Arms. Or Peter H's other books.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.