Help support TMP

"Was there a "Candy Factory" in Stalingrad?" Topic

27 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 20mm WWII Message Board

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

Featured Hobby News Article

Top-Rated Ruleset

Battleground: World War II

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Showcase Article

Featured Profile Article

First Look: GF9's 15mm Dresden House

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian examines another house in this series.

Featured Book Review

1,054 hits since 13 Feb 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Hayes Wauford Supporting Member of TMP13 Feb 2020 9:21 a.m. PST

My 6 year old thinks I should center an upcoming Stalingrad game around a candy facotry if there was indeed one in Stalingrad? Do any of you folks know? Thanks!

Hayes

pzivh43 Supporting Member of TMP13 Feb 2020 9:31 a.m. PST

There had to be, or the fight over Pavlov's Gingerbread house would not have occurred!

gunnerphil13 Feb 2020 9:34 a.m. PST

How about there was one to raise moral of the workers. It was so important was not marked on maps. Even today the site is restricted. That is why no one has heard of it.

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP13 Feb 2020 11:11 a.m. PST

Can anyone prove there wasn't?

deephorse13 Feb 2020 11:20 a.m. PST

Yes.

Extrabio194713 Feb 2020 11:29 a.m. PST

Of course there was a candy factory. It produced M&M's (Marx & Molotovs).

Seriously, if your daughter thinks there should be a candy factory, then by all means add one!

noggin2nog13 Feb 2020 12:09 p.m. PST

Yes:

"Fellow veteran Julia Fedorovna was a 16-year-old schoolgirl at the time. Her medals were earned when she stayed behind to help evacuate refugees, not easy when the river ferries were hit, spilling burning fuel on to the river. "That bombing was terrible, the sky was black, even the Volga was on fire," she remembers. "The Germans hit the candy factory, and rivers of liquid caramel came pouring out."

from link

Cerdic Supporting Member of TMP13 Feb 2020 12:10 p.m. PST

No! No 'candy' factory!

No decadent capitalist fripperies in glorious workers paradise!

Texas Jack13 Feb 2020 1:54 p.m. PST

"The Germans hit the candy factory, and rivers of liquid caramel came pouring out."

So who makes caramel in 20mm? grin

GROSSMAN Supporting Member of TMP13 Feb 2020 4:53 p.m. PST

I think it was on Popalov street next to the saw dust bread shop.

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP13 Feb 2020 4:59 p.m. PST

By definition, without candy, it is not a paradise. Shiny workers' purgatory at best.

C'mon a revolution without chocolate ain't worth getting out of bed for.

Personal logo PaulCollins Supporting Member of TMP13 Feb 2020 5:47 p.m. PST

Wow noggin, you actually found a real source! Nice!

Mobius13 Feb 2020 8:03 p.m. PST

Some of these war stories you have to take with a grain of salt.

Trierarch13 Feb 2020 10:20 p.m. PST

Salted Caramel?

Simo Hayha13 Feb 2020 11:14 p.m. PST

not that i know of, but there was at least one bread factory that was well fought over

Cerdic Supporting Member of TMP13 Feb 2020 11:40 p.m. PST

Comrade Extra Crispy…the Party has said you live in workers paradise. Therefore you live in workers paradise. I'm sure you agree, don't you comrade…

Barin114 Feb 2020 6:06 a.m. PST

Сhecked for you…
Stalingrad had an old candy factory,founded in 1887. After the Revolution it was (of course) named after Lenin.It was almost completely destroyed during city battle, but in 1943 it started making "wartime cookies" for the front.
link

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP14 Feb 2020 6:33 a.m. PST

Thanks to noggin2nog and Barin1, well done gentlemen!

We can consider this a sweet ending.

Hayes Wauford Supporting Member of TMP14 Feb 2020 6:48 a.m. PST

Thank you noggin2nog and Barin1! Our son will be happy!!!

Bowman14 Feb 2020 6:52 a.m. PST

Villi Wonkski?

Legion 414 Feb 2020 8:36 a.m. PST

Barin +1 thumbs up

I was going to say there probably was a candy store there … but it probably got levelled and turned into ruins like much else.

Some pretty good humorous replies there too "comrades" !!! LOL !!!! laugh thumbs up

Personal logo 4th Cuirassier Supporting Member of TMP14 Feb 2020 8:40 a.m. PST

I recall a reference somewhere that says they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

MiniPigs In the TMP Dawghouse15 Feb 2020 2:50 p.m. PST

Who knows what the Russians at that time considered candy. Maybe caramelized reindeer ears? Chewy.

Mobius15 Feb 2020 3:37 p.m. PST

Just another thing to stand in line for. The joke goes that the Soviets invented the 8 items or less line because 8 items is all they had in their stores.

Legion 415 Feb 2020 4:56 p.m. PST

thumbs up

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP16 Feb 2020 5:19 a.m. PST

I was going to add the Hersheybarskaya factory, but what is amazing is that folk have actually researched and come up with serious answers. Great forum this.

On the Napoleonic Board even this would have got quite nasty and personal by now.

Bill N16 Feb 2020 5:53 a.m. PST

I am surprised it was in production in 1942. I thought Soviet sugar beets came primarily from parts of the Ukraine that the Germans overran in 1941.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.