Help support TMP

"Portuguese Legion standard in 1809" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Showcase Article

The Amazing Worlds of Grenadier

The fascinating history of one of the hobby's major manufacturers.

Featured Workbench Article

From Fish Tank to Tabletop

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian receives a gift from his wife…

Featured Profile Article

First Look: Barrage's 28mm Roads

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian takes a look at flexible roads made from long-lasting flexible resin.

447 hits since 10 Feb 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

forwardmarchstudios10 Feb 2020 11:43 p.m. PST

Hi everyone,

Quick question. Did the Portuguese Legion carry a standard French Standard or something else? How about the cav? Thanks!

Prince of Essling11 Feb 2020 2:40 a.m. PST

Although regiments had two standard bearers no record of them being issued any flags. Dempsey, Boppe and Fieffe.

forwardmarchstudios11 Feb 2020 10:02 a.m. PST

Interesting.
Great answer, and thanks a lot!
I'm working on a 2mm game of Wagram with each battalion, squadron, and battery represented. I inadvertency French-flagged these guys, so I guess I'll have to take them off. By 1809 they were essentially prisoner-soldiers, from what I've read.

RudyNelson11 Feb 2020 3:09 p.m. PST

Back in the 1980s, I saw one magazine illustration of them that had them carrying the diamond flag like other foreign regiments carried.

Prince of Essling15 Feb 2020 7:59 a.m. PST

Artur Ribeiro "Legião Portugueza ao serviço de Napoleão" also makes no mention of either flags or standards.

The authors I quoted above with their works are listed as follows:

Guy C Dempsey "Napoleon's Mercenaries"

Eugene Fieffe "Histoire des troupes etrangeres au service de France depuis leur origine jusqu'a, nos jours, et de tous les regiments leves dans les pays conquis sous la premiere Republique et l'Empire : avec 32 gravures coloriees representant plus de 80 types d'uniformes"

Commandant Paul Boppe "La Légion portugaise, 1807-1813"

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.