Help support TMP

"Iran in WWII" Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

First Impressions: Axis & Allies

pmglasser takes a first look at the new Axis & Allies.

Featured Workbench Article

Painting Flames of War Crusader Tanks

Minidragon Fezian been building and painting his own army for Flames of War for a while now.

Featured Movie Review

970 hits since 12 Jan 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Legion 412 Jan 2020 9:54 a.m. PST

I light of all that is going on in Iran and that region. It is interesting to see what happened there in WWII. link And see how it may have influenced where we are today. We all know what happens if you don't study history …

And is another little studied campaign in WWII, like the Anglo-Iraqi War and UK invasion of Lebanon and Syria during WWII link

Blutarski12 Jan 2020 3:25 p.m. PST

Iran provided a major logistical route for delivery of Lend-Lease aid to the Soviet Union.

B

Legion 412 Jan 2020 3:37 p.m. PST

Yes, but the UK & USSR had to invade to do it …

An interesting paragraph from the link :

For many decades, Iran and Germany had cultivated ties, partly as a counter to the imperial ambitions of Britain, of Russia, and (later) of the Soviet Union. Trading with Germany appealed to Iran because the Germans did not have a history of imperialism in the region, unlike the British and the Russians. The Iranian government did not support the antisemitism of Nazi Germany.[2][4] Iranian embassies in European capitals occupied by the Germans rescued over 1,500 Jews and secretly granted them Iranian citizenship, allowing them to move to Iran.[2]

Maha Bandula12 Jan 2020 6:02 p.m. PST

Have a look at this link for a look at the Iranian army:

link

Maha Bandula12 Jan 2020 6:08 p.m. PST

And since you mentioned Iraq, here is an excellent resource for how to go about gaming it:

link

link

Blutarski12 Jan 2020 7:15 p.m. PST

Very cool websites, Maha.
My compliments and thank you for sharing!

B

Legion 413 Jan 2020 8:10 a.m. PST

The UK Invasion of Lebanon & Syria in '41 is a very interesting and unique campaign. I've re-fought it in a board game version.

And Anglo-Iraqi War that took place about the same time as well. Some of UK/Transjordan Forces went to the Lebanon/Syria campaign to support that operation. After the Iraqi uprising was quelled.

And yes those are excellent links Maha ! thumbs up

Sundance13 Jan 2020 1:16 p.m. PST

A couple of years ago, we played an air game of Persia vs. Russia, IIRC, in a meeting over the Caspian.

The link is not related, but is the Wiki article about the Anglo-Soviet invasion of Iran.

link

Legion 414 Jan 2020 6:46 a.m. PST

That is the first link I listed in my original post. So with 2 posts it is a "must" read ! evil grin

JD Lee14 Jan 2020 7:19 a.m. PST

Any ideas of what figures I would use to put together a 15mm Iranian Army together?

Legion 414 Jan 2020 4:25 p.m. PST

Well check the 1st link that Maha posted. You should be able to get an idea. E.g. Iranian Infantry = WWI German with Stalehelm …

Legion 414 Jan 2020 5:02 p.m. PST

Also an interesting article about the German Free Arab Legion … link

Maha Bandula15 Jan 2020 3:43 a.m. PST

Any ideas of what figures I would use to put together a 15mm Iranian Army together?

Or you could also use Peter Pig's WWI Russians in German helmets if you care about the gymnastorka-like shirts at so small a scale.

Maha Bandula15 Jan 2020 3:45 a.m. PST

Also, check out this display game of the Habbaniya battle in Iraq: TMP link

Legion 415 Jan 2020 8:55 a.m. PST

Again Great posts Maha !

Maha Bandula16 Jan 2020 2:32 a.m. PST

Here's someone's treatment of Iraqi armoured cars:

link

Legion 416 Jan 2020 8:40 a.m. PST

thumbs up That is probably the only model of a Crossly, IIRC …

Maha Bandula16 Jan 2020 7:34 p.m. PST

Had you checked the link, you would have discovered three more! Haha.

For Iraqis I''d suggest using WWI British in shorts and long sleeves, though for extra accuracy you'd have to sculpt neckflaps for their pith helmets!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.