Help support TMP

"Rations of the Reich" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

343 hits since 11 Jan 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP11 Jan 2020 12:11 p.m. PST

"It was Napoleon Bonaparte who purportedly said, "An army travels on its stomach."

Toward the goal of feeding his particular army's stomach more efficiently, in 1795 the French general came up with an interesting solution to the problem. He sponsored a contest with a cash prize offered to the first successful demonstration of a means to safely preserve food and thus make it portable. It took 14 years for the prize to find a recipient; in 1809, Nicolas Appert, a French chef, invented a food canning process using glass jars…."
Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP11 Jan 2020 2:26 p.m. PST

It's the 76-year gap between the invention of the can and the invention of the can opener which haunts me. (I checked, by the way: the P-38 doesn't appear until 1942--132 year after canned food. That would be a long time even by C-rat standards.)

Personal logo Narratio Supporting Member of TMP11 Jan 2020 6:01 p.m. PST

robert – I feel your pain. But it proves that the bayonet is a true multipurpose tool, once you've cleaned it a bit.

There's a certain similarity with cats. They become sabre tooth tigers (a cat with their own can openers) and then have to wait thousands of years for somebody invent the can. By which point they've died out… it's sad.

Legion 412 Jan 2020 7:39 a.m. PST

IIRC in the early days of canned food for use in the military, in the 19th Century. The Lead cans caused some long term users, e.g. RN, Lead poising. Not only causing illness but death.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP12 Jan 2020 2:01 p.m. PST

Thanks!.

Amicalement
Armand

farnox13 Jan 2020 10:51 a.m. PST

I found it interesting at the end of the article that Germans were raising cats for food at the end of the war.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP13 Jan 2020 11:09 a.m. PST

Glad you enjoyed it my friend!.

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.