Help support TMP


"Vallejo Colors for 1970s-80s US Infantry" Topic


7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please don't call someone a Nazi unless they really are a Nazi.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.


Back to the Painting Message Board

Back to the Modern Painting Guides Message Board


Areas of Interest

General
Modern

Featured Hobby News Article


Featured Recent Link


Featured Showcase Article

World's Greatest Dice Games

A cheap way to pick up on the latest fad and get your own dice cup for wargaming?


Featured Profile Article

Jot Wood Magnet

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian finds bases at the dollar store!


Current Poll


Featured Book Review


Featured Movie Review


1,317 hits since 7 Jan 2020
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Buckeye AKA Darryl07 Jan 2020 4:18 p.m. PST

Looking for suggestions using Vallejo paints for basic US uniforms during the 1970s and 80s, from both the basic green to the Woodland camo (2nd ERDL pattern). Thank you.

Personal logo Jlundberg Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2020 4:31 p.m. PST

link link
This looks good. The woodland camo BDUs faded pretty nicely – right as they got about as comfy as PJs

Personal logo Grelber Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2020 5:47 p.m. PST

I've seen a breakdown of what part of the BDU cloth was what color. All I remember is that they were 10% black, and the other 90% was split between three colors, something like 40-40-10.

Grelber

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2020 6:38 p.m. PST

With Jlundberg. The woodland camo BDU had the worst fade of anything I ever wore or even heard tell of. The oldest of the "field" uniforms didn't look like the same colors as the "inspection" set, and you could expect some grief from the senior NCOs if the top and bottom weren't roughly equally faded. Not to mention that every now and then some well-meaning but busy wife would put a little bleach in with the military laundry. The term for the extreme fades was "cook whites" and they were usually for field use only.

What's shown here is about mid-range:
link

Personal logo Stosstruppen Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2020 6:50 p.m. PST

Here is a guide with the vallejo colors

link

Buckeye AKA Darryl08 Jan 2020 6:05 a.m. PST

Thanks! That guide with Vallejo is especially useful!

Keifer11313 Sep 2021 10:48 p.m. PST

Darn that link is dead….

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.