Help support TMP

"Defeated and Inglorious? Why is Napoleon not treated" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

GallopingJack Checks Out The Terrain Mat

Mal Wright Fezian goes to sea with the Terrain Mat.

Featured Workbench Article

Cleopatra & L'Ocean

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian's motivation to paint Napoleonic ships returns!

Featured Profile Article

Dung Gate

For the time being, the last in our series of articles on the gates of Old Jerusalem.

839 hits since 9 Dec 2019
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango0109 Dec 2019 9:28 p.m. PST

…. WITH MORE RESPECT IN FRANCE?

"Under a clear blue sky, the Emperor Napoleon, wearing his trademark black felt bicorne hat, green tunic, white breeches and riding boots, emerges at the top of a stone staircase and, with a steady gaze and a salute, acknowledges the thousands assembled in the cobbled courtyard below.

Behind him are his generals, clad in gaudy uniforms and plumed hats, with swords strapped to their waists. Stood at attention or on horseback in the courtyard are several hundred Imperial Guardsmen in their bearskin shakos, many sporting a gold earring, a sign of their elite status.

The veterans of the Old Guard were Napoleon's favourite troops. He nicknamed them "Les Grognards" the grumblers because they were bold enough to complain in front of him. Beyond them, crowding the square and the neighbouring streets, stand around 40,000 ordinary French citizens…"
Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

La Belle Ruffian10 Dec 2019 3:52 a.m. PST

Because the French have a blatantly pro-British agenda, obviously…

More seriously, because, as with all of us, Napoleon was flawed and perspectives are subjective.

ConnaughtRanger10 Dec 2019 4:50 a.m. PST

This is a joke, surely?

Tango0110 Dec 2019 11:37 a.m. PST

(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

MiniPigs In the TMP Dawghouse10 Dec 2019 4:14 p.m. PST

*Minipigs feels his kicking leg getting dangly*

Personal logo SHaT1984 Supporting Member of TMP10 Dec 2019 5:25 p.m. PST

Some joke- Brits calling out other nations failings and making it 'newsy'!
Some snotnosed amateur reporter with nothing better to report from their own circus du jour I'd say.

In France, just like other places, there are Bonapatistes, Royalists, Republicans, and many who just dont bother with it.

"Life" has a long memory. When I visited I lunched with friends and ones mother, elderly obviously, said her grandmother hated the Germans for what they 'caused' to happen to their docile country. She wasn't referring to either World Wars, her grandmothers recollection was about the 'Comune de Paris' of 1870!

Of those French whom I met and conversed, most were either amused or amazed that some twit from a English colony would go to France to study the Empire period. Only ardent republicans were repulsed. :-0
d

Redcurrant10 Dec 2019 5:32 p.m. PST

Too many adverts so I gave up.

dibble10 Dec 2019 6:03 p.m. PST

The Independent. They are a lefty-liberal news outlet and hate the prospect of Britain leaving the EU. So one should read into that article all the bu118h1t that will fit

42flanker11 Dec 2019 3:44 a.m. PST

'Calling out,'- Really? A bit radical for the Indy.

However,the article appears in fact to have orginated with Newsweek-

As it is, the piece seems clear enough to me as to the ranges of opinion and degree of interest. But, really, there are much more serious objections:

"Stood at attention or on horseback in the courtyard are the several hundred Imperial Guardsmen in their bearskin shakos.."

Where do I start…?

La Belle Ruffian11 Dec 2019 3:59 a.m. PST

SHaT1984, I agree with 42Flanker. The article (5 years old, for the abdication's bicenntenial), is asking the question rather than issuing a directive and gathering a range of responses.

Tango0111 Dec 2019 11:52 a.m. PST

I lived in France…mostly of the french didn't take sides about Napoleon… they don't care…

Now… those who like/love history are mostly Napoleonic fans…

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.