Help support TMP

"Fife and Drum Rules Question" Topic

3 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

Areas of Interest

18th Century

Featured Hobby News Article

278 hits since 10 Oct 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pan Marek Supporting Member of TMP11 Oct 2019 11:10 a.m. PST

Hi-
I like alot of things about these rules, but I'm wondering how to move one's units. Many black powder era rules require one to wheel to turn (ie: Shako II, F&F).
That is, to take your line of troops and swing it like a door from one corner, measure the inches it took to do that, and subtract from one's full move
before moving forward.
Others (The British are Coming) has one pivot on the unit's center.
Still others (Black Powder) simply have you measure movement distance and plop the unit down anywhere within that distance.

How do people prefer to do it with the Fife and Drum rules? And if its the "plop" method, where do you measure move distance
from? One corner of a unit? the middle?

Any thoughts? Thanks

Personal logo Der Alte Fritz Sponsoring Member of TMP11 Oct 2019 1:40 p.m. PST

Mark: glad to hear that you like the rules, thank you.

To turn and wheel I select a turning point on either end of the line and pivot on that point like a door; and yes, if you have any inches of movement left after making the wheel move, then the battalion may move forward the remaining distance.

For a change of formation, I just put the unit in column or line and count this as a half move. The remaining inches of movement can be used based on the movement distance allowed for the new formation.

Units that change formation are not allowed to charge.

cheers,

Jim

Pan Marek Supporting Member of TMP11 Oct 2019 7:32 p.m. PST

Thanks, Jim!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.