Help support TMP

"Turkey begins offensive aimed at Kurdish fighters in Syria" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2009-present) Message Board

Areas of Interest

Modern

606 hits since 9 Oct 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP09 Oct 2019 12:32 p.m. PST

"Turkey launched airstrikes and fired artillery aimed at crushing Kurdish fighters in northern Syria on Wednesday after U.S. troops pulled back from the area, paving the way for an assault on forces that have long been allied with the United States.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced the start of the campaign, which followed an abrupt decision Sunday by U.S. President Donald Trump that American troops would step aside to allow for the operation.

Trump's move drew bipartisan opposition at home and represented a shift in U.S. policy that essentially abandoned the Syrian Kurdish fighters who have been America's only allies in Syria fighting the Islamic State group. After Erdogan announced the offensive, Trump called the operation "a bad idea."…"

Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

USAFpilot09 Oct 2019 1:47 p.m. PST

Last I checked Turkey is a NATO ally.

The President would draw criticism if he did the opposite and decided to add troops and protect the Kurds. Certain factions just want to criticize no matter what you do.

SBminisguy09 Oct 2019 2:07 p.m. PST

I don't know enough about what's really going on to be happy, sad or indifferent. I know there are 5 major Kurdish factions and probably lots of smaller ones. So there is no "THE KURDS," but competing groups.. From what I can find so far, this particular faction is a Syrian-based offshoot of the Marxist PKK (Kurdish Worker's Party), not the Iraq-based main faction that has been a principle US supporter in northern Iraq, called KDP. So of all places, Al Jazeera has a decent run down:

1. KDP – the "stable" autonomous pro US/Western faction in northern Iraq which supported the US during the Iraq War

2. PKK – the Marxist "Kurdish Workers Party" which has conducted numerous terror attacks against Turkey and the KDP

3. The PYD – the Syrian offshoot of the PKK that Trump is "abandoning"

4. PUK – a pro-Iranian, PKK-linked group

5. KNC – a KDP-aligned Syrian-Kurdish faction

So we're maybe not supporting one marxist/nationalist Kurdish action among multiple factions? I say maybe because I don't know if there are any deals being done behind the scenes.

link

Thresher01 Supporting Member of TMP09 Oct 2019 2:57 p.m. PST

You are correct on the latter point, USAFpilot.

As for the former statement, I certainly begin to wonder about that.

I imagine the blowback in Turkey will be forthcoming soon, as some strive to strike against their attackers.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP10 Oct 2019 11:54 a.m. PST

Thanks!.

Amicalement
Armand

Lion in the Stars10 Oct 2019 12:37 p.m. PST

NYTimes today had a headline saying "Turkey Attacks US Ally in Syria"

I wonder if the Times is trying to enrage the US public into starting a war against Turkey?

Photonred11 Oct 2019 6:51 a.m. PST

As usual the media is looking to decry actions when taken by their favorites would have a much different slant as SBminisguy has stated there are several factions of Kurds and not all of them are aligned with the US.

Bigby Wolf11 Oct 2019 11:30 a.m. PST

USAFpilot
Last I checked Turkey is a NATO ally.

Last "I" checked, SDF were a US ally… care to explain?

USAFpilot12 Oct 2019 6:31 p.m. PST

Just pointing out the fact that Turkey is a NATO ally and the Kurds don't even have a country.

Personally I think the situation stinks. The Kurds have been one of our best allies in the region and once again we are betraying them, a practice that has gone on since the Ford administration.

I was on active duty inTurkey during the 90's supporting Operation NORTHERN WATCH, whose purpose was to create a no-fly zone over northern Iraq. This was to protect the Kurds from Iraqi attacks from the air. The ultimate irony and lunacy was that the operation would occasionally stand down to allow the Turks to go in and bomb the Kurds, the very people we were suppose to protect.

So please explain,
why is Turkey still a member of NATO?
why are the Europeans allowing this slaughter to happen?
why doesn't the UN have peace keepers on the ground?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.