Help support TMP

"Peninsular War Battlefield Tour - Elvas & Albuera" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Action Log

09 Oct 2019 5:15 a.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from Historical Wargaming in General board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

311 hits since 9 Oct 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

carojon09 Oct 2019 2:20 a.m. PST

This series of posts continues with a look at the historic UNESCO World Heritage town of Elvas, the British Cemetery in the half bulwark of Sao Joao da Corujerra and the site of the bloody battle of Albuera.

picture

All the sites are intimately linked in that the campaign that led to the battle began in the town and two of the grave sites in the beautifully restored cemetery are of notable casualties from it.

picture

The battle itself is a fascinating one to study and to walk, to appreciate how close Marshal Soult came to winning and the resolution needed from the Allied infantry to prevent it.

picture

If you would like to know more then just follow the link to JJ's

link

Jonathan (JJ)

Stosstruppen09 Oct 2019 5:59 a.m. PST

Thank you again for the great report. This is a period of interest for me, and a battle I have purchased minis to recreate.

thistlebarrow209 Oct 2019 6:36 a.m. PST

Excellent series of Peninsular battlefield visits, without doubt the best I have seen. Far better than the commercially available information. The mass of photographs of each visit, supported by current information and extracts from soldiers who fought at each location, makes them a very valuable reference and guide.

I have visited all of the locations you covered and your series brought back a lot of happy memories. It was also interesting to see how much they have changed since 1990s. It is good to see that many now have memorials and information centres.

I hope that your reports will encourage others to take the plunge and visit themselves. No better way to understand a battlefield than to walk it yourself. Your reports will certainly make it much easier for others to do so.

Well done

22ndFoot09 Oct 2019 8:01 a.m. PST

Excellent as always. Thank you.

Timmo uk09 Oct 2019 10:20 a.m. PST

I agree. I always enjoy these and the photographs of the landscape continue to inspire.

Chairtwosqueaky Supporting Member of TMP09 Oct 2019 1:08 p.m. PST

Your series of reports is book worthy… just saying…

C M DODSON09 Oct 2019 1:31 p.m. PST

Brilliant as always.

Lovely to see the exceptional work of Curro Agudo Mangas as part of the presentation.

He is a genius.

Best wishes,

Chris

carojon10 Oct 2019 6:58 a.m. PST

Thanks for the comments chaps, its great to hear others enthusiasm for the subject and the series of posts.

I aim to conclude with posts covering Bailen in the next one followed by a look at Burgos and Vitoria on the homeward leg of our journey.

Cheers
JJ

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.