Help support TMP

"What's the Big Deal with Miniature Wargaming?" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Warhammer Message Board

Back to the Historical Wargaming in General Message Board

Areas of Interest

General
Fantasy

780 hits since 19 Sep 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP19 Sep 2019 9:59 p.m. PST

From Wells to Warhammer, we're taking a big look at something small….

YouTube link

Amicalement
Armand

wmyers29 Sep 2019 4:20 p.m. PST

"expensive".

Hit the nail on the top of the head.

von Schwartz01 Oct 2019 6:39 p.m. PST

Oh, I don't know $4.00 USD for 4 horse or 8 foot in 15mm, not too bad. Average $8.00 USD per foot battalion $12.00 USD for mounted plus or minus for some trim and accessories. Paint is $.50 USD per 2.5 oz. Compare that to model railroading or RC airplanes, cars, boats. Real cars and real boats don't even talk about it, gun collecting, still pretty pricey. Golf? heh heh heh.

Personal logo McLaddie Supporting Member of TMP02 Oct 2019 7:39 a.m. PST

"expensive".
Hit the nail on the top of the head.

Compared to what? Golf, model RRs, reenacting? Skiing?

I can have a small skirmish game… kids get started with their own money… difficult to do that with many hobbies.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP05 Oct 2019 3:58 p.m. PST

(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

The Angry Piper07 Oct 2019 8:06 a.m. PST

What's the big deal? Beats me. But it's all anyone ever seems to talk about around here…

jamemurp11 Oct 2019 12:07 p.m. PST

It's expensive compared to something like soccer that just needs a ball and a field, or basketball.

Golf, RR, and skiing are all expensive luxuries way outside most of the world's grasp and commonly associated with the very wealthy. It's like saying gold isn't expensive because *platinum*.

Miniature gaming is a niche hobby that generally requires a significant outlay of money and time to get into. Sure, there are levels of expense, but to pretend it is some super affordable thing is disingenuous.

I agree that the smaller scales are generally speaking less money and time demanding, but the trend has been towards 28+mm with the big names charging premium prices. And that's what most people will see.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.