Help support TMP

"Wargaming with Legos?" Topic

16 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Wargaming in General Message Board

Back to the Toy Gaming Discussion Message Board

Action Log

10 Sep 2019 3:04 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Changed title from "Wargaming with Legos" to "Wargaming with Legos?"Removed from ACW Product Reviews board
  • Changed starttime from
    10 Sep 2019 11:22 a.m. PST
    to
    10 Sep 2019 11:22 a.m. PSTRemoved from ACW Discussion boardRemoved from ACW Discussion boardCrossposted to Toy Gaming Discussion boardCrossposted to Wargaming in General board

Areas of Interest

General
Toy Gaming

733 hits since 10 Sep 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Russ Haynes Supporting Member of TMP10 Sep 2019 11:22 a.m. PST

Has anyone thought about using Legos for a block wargaming, as in kriegspiel? I was exploring their site and an 8-stand Fire and Fury infantry brigade costs about $1.60 USD or less plus no painting time. I love my miniature armies but in 15mm a similar brigade would cost a minimum of $6 USD-$7 plus paints and painting time. For example Old Glory 15s are $20 USD for a bag of 50 figures. If you buy at least 20 packs you get 40% off, bringing the pack price down to $12. USD This makes the cost per figure $.24 USD each, so a 24-fig brigade would be $5.76 USD, plus the cost of any bases, paint, flock AND the time it takes to paint the figures. I know I'm speaking heresy on a miniature wargaming site but I have been thinking about 2mm armies and got to brainstorming about alternatives.

JimDuncanUK10 Sep 2019 11:42 a.m. PST

Was using Lego for wargaming more than 50 years ago.

I use figures now…

Russ Haynes Supporting Member of TMP10 Sep 2019 12:14 p.m. PST

Sorry Jim if I offended your adult sensibilities. Not sure why you commented but thanks. Oh, and btw, I was wargaming with legos 45 years ago.

JimDuncanUK10 Sep 2019 12:26 p.m. PST

Just saying that it was not a new idea but go ahead and brainstorm away. I've done it a few times, sometimes it has worked really well.

Must admit I haven't gone down to 2mm yet.

MajorB10 Sep 2019 2:49 p.m. PST

The Lego company hates it when people pluralise the word.

Tin hat10 Sep 2019 3:22 p.m. PST

MajorB +1

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP10 Sep 2019 3:37 p.m. PST

At first I thought you were talking about Lego figures, and I was wondering where you were finding ACW Lego men for $1.60 USD each! I guess what you are talking about is kind of like the block board games. Would you use 3D terrain, or just game on a flat surface?

epturner Supporting Member of TMP10 Sep 2019 4:28 p.m. PST

I did 40 ish years ago.

Also made very stylized ships out of them too.

Eric

Oberlindes Sol LIC10 Sep 2019 4:37 p.m. PST

I have some Lego blocks, and think about making things out of them, like even sections of wall, but the sides are so smooth and lacking in texture that I never do actually touch them.

stephen m10 Sep 2019 5:09 p.m. PST

I have some 6mm buildings made by Time Cast and the masters were made over Lego structures. The interior of the castings tells all. I guess they either cover the exteriors with plastic card and detail castings or maybe putty.

warwell10 Sep 2019 6:46 p.m. PST

I also thought the original poster meant Lego men. But if he means Lego blocks, I have done something similar (not Lego but blocks all the same).
link
I prefer to use 2D terrain. Reminds me of a kriegsspiel board.

picture

Stryderg10 Sep 2019 8:01 p.m. PST

A few years ago I found a website that showed sci-fi Ogre's, tanks and rock launch vehicles made of Lego bricks (or Legos, take that you grammar puritans!!). Ahem, if you use the 2x4 blocks that are 1/3rd normal height, you can add the single round bricks of various colors to mark unit membership, or status (routed, pinned, etc).

Martian Root Canal11 Sep 2019 6:26 a.m. PST

We played some game set in the time of Wallace and Robert the Bruce using Lego. We had a homegrown set of rules called 'Braveparts'.

Norrins11 Sep 2019 9:34 a.m. PST

We've played Frostgrave using Lord of the Rings Lego.

Personal logo Patrick R Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2019 12:50 p.m. PST

I had Exin Castillios, made in Spain in the 70's, they are not compatible with Lego but are quite interesting in that they are 25mm long and therefore compatible with basing etc. Bricks are the right size for 28mm figures.

https://exincastillosng.com

picture

Shagnasty Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2019 1:43 p.m. PST

That is a great castle! I've never been able to get excited about Lego blocks in any form.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.