Help support TMP

"Que Cavalry at Barnet?" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Game Design Message Board

Back to the War of the Roses Message Board

Areas of Interest

General
Renaissance

442 hits since 6 Sep 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

martin goddard Sponsoring Member of TMP06 Sep 2019 2:49 a.m. PST

Battle of Barnet WOTR.
I am looking at the battle of Barnet and considering the cavalry presence.
The Terry Wise book (Osprey) talks of a conclusive charge by Edward (Yorkists) into the Lancastrians.
I assume some of the cavalry listed as being on the flanks are prickers etc to follow up routs and keep their own army in place. Then there are usually some mounted chaps in reserve at the back to guard various things.
Most heavy troops would be in the battle line on foot.
What know we of the Yorkist cavalry charge??

Thank you.

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP06 Sep 2019 3:33 a.m. PST

Short answer is "darn little." I've got about half a shelf of WOTR military history, and of everything I own which claims to be a history, they have the highest ratio of "must have" "probably" and "usually" to contemporary or near-contemporary sources. Once or twice I find myself wondering whether dismounted men at arms had some regular system to bring up horses, either for a charge or for a retreat. There are one or two hints along those lines.

MajorB06 Sep 2019 11:38 a.m. PST

Ospreys are like the curate's egg – good in parts …

As far as I am aware there is no evidence in primary sources for the presence of mounted troops on the battlefield at Barnet.

Oberlindes Sol LIC06 Sep 2019 6:59 p.m. PST

I suppose it's a sad comment that I, and I'm probably not the only one, saw "WOTR" and thought "War of the Ring" and was confused until figuring out what WOTR means in this context.

martin goddard Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Sep 2019 12:27 p.m. PST

Thank you for the input gents.

Elenderil16 Sep 2019 12:03 p.m. PST

Does definitely say this was a mounted charge? I came across a similar issue with an account of Brunanburgh in the Novel ‘Dunstan'. The evidence for a mounted attack being one line in a single source which talks of charging the Scots-Viking lines. The writer just seems to assume charge means a cavalry charge. Could this be the same issue?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.