Help support TMP

"Best guns for NWF and terrain ideas" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 19th Century Discussion Message Board

Back to The Sword and The Flame Message Board

Areas of Interest

19th Century

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Showcase Article

GallopingJack Checks Out The Terrain Mat

Mal Wright Fezian goes to sea with the Terrain Mat.

Featured Workbench Article

Featured Profile Article

First Look: Battlefront's Train Tracks

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian checks out some 10/15mm railroad tracks for wargaming.

Featured Book Review

868 hits since 26 Aug 2019
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Dadster Supporting Member of TMP27 Aug 2019 7:25 p.m. PST

I have pretty much settled on Wargames Foundry figures got some great deals on figures painted and unpainted. And Perry.

What are the best guns to use for the period, low calibre small guns I would suppose 15 lbs and less? Screw guns? Mountain howitzers? And I would imagine some sort of early machine guns or gatling guns? What sort of guns would the Pathans/Afghanis use?

Any ideas on building hills and mountainous terrain? Build or buy? How to build?

Thanks

Personal logo ColCampbell Supporting Member of TMP28 Aug 2019 7:42 a.m. PST

The British/Indian forces would have the ubiquitous 9-lbr muzzle loading rifled gun and the smaller mountain howitzer that the Indians preferred. Machineguns would be Gardners or Nordenfeldts. Ny heavier caliber guns would be reserved for major punitive expeditions.

The Pathans might have an older muzzle loading smoothbore cannon or maybe a captured Indian mountain howitzer. I doubt that they would have any machineguns.

I would suggest you get a copy of Churchill's The Story of the Malakand Field Force" book. You can download it from Project Gutenberg: gutenberg.org/ebooks/9404

Just my nickel's worth,

Jim

alan L28 Aug 2019 10:16 a.m. PST

Get the 2.5" screw gun mountain batteries (British and Indian) and you will be well served. Heavier 15pdr artillery was carried on elephants in the 1897 Tirah campaign. The roads were really not suited for horse drawn guns and the campaign was more or less over by that time.

Orders of battle show Gatlngs and later on Maxims. Not come across reference to Nordenfeldts being fielded.

Definitely no native machine guns but perhaps the odd old smoothbore from way back when.

As for terrain, for low hills use any technique for construction that suits you. For mountainous terrain, I will be constructing facades which give height without needing depth. Have a look at these on the Major General Tremorden's now defunct site for construction techniques:

link

Lion in the Stars28 Aug 2019 10:26 a.m. PST

Ordnance BL 12pdr 6CWT for the standard guns after 1892. link

Anything heavier would be for punitive expeditions only. RML 6.3" or 6.6" Howitzers, BL 5.4" Howitzers later.

RML 7pdr or RML 2.5" for mountain guns.

Maybe one or two Maxim guns per battalion of infantry.

And I must second the recommendation of The Story of the Malakand Field Force!

alan L28 Aug 2019 1:10 p.m. PST

From 1892, the 12pdrs were converted to 15pdrs for the Field Artillery batteries.

SgtGuinness Supporting Member of TMP28 Aug 2019 4:07 p.m. PST

Dadster, those are some great answers and advice above. For all things NWF for the 2nd Afghan war including terrain making tutorials, painting guides, orders of Battle, AAR's, etc, etc…look no further than one of the most awesome blogs on the net. This blog will both inspire and awe you!

link

Cheers,
Sgt G

alan L29 Aug 2019 1:59 a.m. PST

Second Mad Guru's site. We also have a NW Frontier Yahoo Group, if you are interested.

Dadster Supporting Member of TMP29 Aug 2019 1:05 p.m. PST

Thanks for the tips, links and inspiration

alan L29 Aug 2019 2:15 p.m. PST

You are very welcome. Happy to help with any other questions you might have.

Best wishes for your adventures in The Grim!

Dadster Supporting Member of TMP29 Aug 2019 3:58 p.m. PST

I am interested in the Yahoo Group

alan L30 Aug 2019 6:13 a.m. PST

Here you are:
link

Lion in the Stars30 Aug 2019 12:05 p.m. PST

How did I forget to mention the Mad Guru's site?!? *embarrassed*

Yes, he probably has the best guide to building terrain that looks like the NWF while still being playable.

Dadster Supporting Member of TMP30 Aug 2019 2:06 p.m. PST

Will check.

Thank you.

MiniPigs01 Mar 2020 9:38 a.m. PST

Did anyone ever buy the rocks set from OG? Seems very NWF.

link

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.