Help support TMP

"Swedish soldiers diet gnw" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the War of the Spanish Succession Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

18th Century

342 hits since 24 Aug 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

barcah200124 Aug 2019 12:39 p.m. PST

Does anyone know what the daily ration of the Swedish soldier was when on campaign during the GNW? I assume bread + some protein + spirits + ?
Mark

Travellera24 Aug 2019 12:51 p.m. PST

Per day:
625 gram bread
850 gram butter or bacon
1/3 liter peas
2,5 liter beer

barcah200124 Aug 2019 2:11 p.m. PST

Thank you! So the is similar across Europe except further west you'd have beef

Daniel S26 Aug 2019 9:16 a.m. PST

A couple of small corrections.
The 850 gram ration wasn't "butter or bacon" but meat, I suspect that Travallera used the Swedish book "Karoliner" which made an error when transcribing the ration. However the original text of the "Fältportion stat" has butter as separate issue.

There type of meat issued could be pretty varied, fish including stockfish and salted herring were used as well as pork and beef. (Stockfish was not particularly liked but the fatty herring was popular.

The butter ration was an additional 212 grams with fatty pork ("fläsk" in Swedish) including bacon being a possible substitute for the butter.

The pea ration called for either peas or groats (typically oat groats used for oatmeal or cooked directly) At the start of the war the ration was 1/6 liter groats but the size of the ration was increased as peas became popular. It has been claimed that the pea ration during the GNW what was turned pea soup into an ever present item on the menue served to Swedish soldiers from then on.

While the bread and beer ration stayed the same during the war both the meat and butter rations would see cuts and increases, for 1702 the offical meat ration was only 425 grams with no butter ration. (Of course this was plenty compared to the Scanian war, in 1676 the meat ration was only 212 grams with at best 26 grams of butter.)

Travellera26 Aug 2019 10:28 a.m. PST

Thanks Daniel!

I first thought it looked a bit strange with butter or bacon but on the other hand, bacon is mostly fat anyway so I thought it sounded possible. Thanks for the correction, I will make a note in my book :)

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.