Help support TMP

"Least Favorite Rules - Warhammer 40,000!" Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Warhammer 40K Message Board

Back to the Flames of War Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Back to the Wargaming in General Message Board

Action Log

22 Aug 2019 12:10 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Crossposted to Napoleonic Discussion boardCrossposted to Flames of War boardCrossposted to Warhammer 40K board

22 Aug 2019 12:11 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Changed total # of posts from 2 to 1
  • Changed time from
    to
    22 Aug 2019 12:09 p.m. PST
  • Changed starttime from
    to
    22 Aug 2019 12:09 p.m. PSTRemoved from 18th Century Product Reviews board

22 Aug 2019 12:12 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from Ultramodern Warfare (2009-present) board
  • Changed starttime from
    to
  • Changed total # of posts from 1 to 3
  • Changed time from
    to
    22 Aug 2019 12:10 p.m. PSTRemoved from 18th Century Product Reviews board

22 Aug 2019 12:13 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Changed title from "Least Favorite Rules: Warhammer 40,000!" to "Least Favorite Rules - Warhammer 40,000!"Removed from Ultramodern Warfare (2009-present) boardRemoved from 18th Century Product Reviews board

Areas of Interest

General
Napoleonic
World War One
World War Two on the Land
Modern
Science Fiction

983 hits since 22 Aug 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian22 Aug 2019 12:09 p.m. PST

You were asked – TMP link

Maybe they're popular, maybe they've even gotten stellar reviews, maybe the whole gaming world just loves them, but they still just leave you cold in fact, you'd "rather play anything but game Y." (By the way, this question is about tabletop miniatures rules, not board games. Heck, we'll make an extension into RPGs, but that's about it.)

So, what rules do you secretly (or openly) despise?

In the final round of voting:

23% said "Warhammer 40,000"
20% said "Flames of War"
17% said "Empire (Napoleonic)"

lkmjbc322 Aug 2019 1:17 p.m. PST

Lol…
The top two are the top selling rules ever in the industry!

Joe Collins

whill422 Aug 2019 2:07 p.m. PST

I wonder if they would still be the top two rule sets if each edition were treated independently and not aggregated.

khanscom22 Aug 2019 5:40 p.m. PST

Played one game of 40K-- discovered that I couldn't rush half of my squad across a narrow alley (about 12 feet in game scale) while the remaining fire team covered them; never played that again.

Never played FoW.

I respect Empire for the concepts and research, but have only played a single game of version 1 or 2; I did buy Empire (IV) and the Campaign System.

Zephyr122 Aug 2019 9:14 p.m. PST

--23% said "Warhammer 40,000"--

Which edition…?

Puster22 Aug 2019 9:56 p.m. PST

As there is only one valid edition, a DISLIKE for the ruleset does not really need to be dissembled for different editions.

If you LIKE them, however, different editions may make sense. I used to play it a lot, but they lost me somewhere during the 5th edition, mainly to poorly designed army books.

Toaster22 Aug 2019 10:48 p.m. PST

Well of course the most popular rulesets are also the most unpopular, because so many more people have encountered them. You can have the most dire set of rules out but if they only sold 100 copies that limits the number of people who can hate them.

Robert

Wayniac23 Aug 2019 5:06 a.m. PST

I come from a 40k background. The issues are many, so I can see this. Between the blatant lack of any care to balance to the focus on "competitive" play that rewards spamming units and basically doing nothing like the force is represented, and the current edition's Magic-esque focus on stacking combos and listbuilding.. yeah, I can see why.

I just started up Flames of War though so RIP xD

PK Guy Brent23 Aug 2019 5:24 a.m. PST

Polls like this bother me. "Despise"? I find that the best way to know if a question or statement is "questionable" is to replace the subject with a person's name or race/sex.

I don't really see that polls voting on least liked or "despised" things do much good. Inherently they are focused on the negative and tearing down someone's work.

Just remember – somebody put a lot of work and effort into those rules when they created them.

Polls identifying "most liked" or "best" are at least positive. If you don't see the other rules on that list….well, then you know they aren't "liked".

Just my 2 cents worth.

Personal logo Zeelow Supporting Member of TMP23 Aug 2019 6:44 a.m. PST

Change/modify what you don't like.

Col Piron23 Aug 2019 7:54 a.m. PST

I wonder if they would still be the top two rule sets if each edition were treated independently and not aggregated.

Yes especially between FOW V3 & V4 .

Clays Russians23 Aug 2019 9:14 a.m. PST

Col Piron
In line with that question I have this to say,
Empire II ,,, 👍🏼
Empire III And up … 😡

John Tyson23 Aug 2019 3:16 p.m. PST

I can understand "Flames of War" not doing well. These rules left me cold for my WW2 gaming. I went to "Panzer Grenadier" and much prefer these rules for my WW2 gaming.

von Schwartz23 Aug 2019 5:48 p.m. PST

Never played the other two but the Empires Napoleonics sucks out loud. If yer not French or British you might as well phone it in, you're gonna lose.

The H Man Supporting Member of TMP24 Aug 2019 6:15 p.m. PST

"Just remember somebody put a lot of work and effort into those rules when they created them."

Evidence please!

von Schwartz25 Aug 2019 6:12 p.m. PST

Well, I played the rules a number of times and studied them extensively. They put in waaay too many perks for the French and, to a lesser extent, the Brits. I mean just how many classes of guard troop can you have? Young Guard, Middle Guard, Old Guard? How about the rule that only the French can use Grand batteries, or that the French hussars are classed as "Battle Cavalry" and no one elses is? There were more as I remember but I lost my set of rules and since I despised them never replaced them.

SCOTT BOWDEN25 Aug 2019 6:59 p.m. PST

von Schwartz, what kind of nonsense are you talking about? Your statements about the EMPIRE rules are false.

Froglidite Supporting Member of TMP25 Aug 2019 7:54 p.m. PST

A reply to "von Schwartz". I have just checked my copy of Empire V rules to verify your comments. 1) ALL armies can form Grand Batteries with at least 32 pieces of ordinance excluding regimental and battalion guns. 2) Only 3 French hussar regiments are Battle Cavalry. All British/KGL cavalry are Battle Cavalry, as well as ALL Russian and Austrian hussar regiments, to name a few. 3) In regards to the YG, MG, OG troop types, for starters, let us not forget the Russians, the large contingent of Guard infantry and cavalry regiments as well as a nice collection of Grenadier regiments as well.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.