Help support TMP

"Austrian Koburg Infantry Regiment" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Product Reviews Message Board

Back to the What I Did This Week Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Back to the Getting Started with Napoleonics Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Painting Guides Message Board

Areas of Interest

General
Napoleonic

834 hits since 20 Aug 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Wargaming Company20 Aug 2019 7:17 a.m. PST

Austrian Koburg Infantry Regiment #22, in shakos for 1809-1814, with three battalions.

Some have asked for better close up images of what our miniatures look like and we're beginning the process of re-doing the photography of them so thought we'd post a couple images to see if it better helps people out.

For the painters just starting out, these are 1:160 (aka 10mm) miniatures from our ESR Box Sets, they were block painted with no special talent, then based (bases included), before being hit with a wash we used Strong Tone Quick Shade by Army Painter and brushed it on to control the amount.

This process can leave a low amount of gloss on the miniatures and a good next step is to spray them with a dull coat sealant to knock down any appearance of gloss (we've yet to do that on this example).

Block painting on 10mm goes very quickly, someone at our office did 160 of these during breaks and spare time over the course of a week. They were secured to the bases with a basic white glue, aka PVA such as Elmer's or your preferred brand and allowed to dry over night, then hit with the Quick Shade using an old, very beat up, due to be thrown away paint brush.

Our next steps with them will be applying a dull coat sealant as noted above to both protect the paint job and reduce the remaining gloss.

Hope you like the look of the miniatures and the painting advice is useful!

-TWC
thewargamingcompany.com

Real Richard Hensley20 Aug 2019 7:42 a.m. PST

Nice figures, although the bases seem to be very thick. Also, and not to create more work, but the flags for the Austrians were positioned on the front right rank of each battalion so that the unit could guide off the colors accordingly. The photo shown here seems to show the flags in the center of the battalions. Keep up the great work!

138SquadronRAF Supporting Member of TMP20 Aug 2019 8:53 a.m. PST

Nice figures, although the bases seem to be very thick.

The matter of basic thickness seems to be a personal matter. While I personally prefer very thin basis I have friends who like the thicker bases for easy of handling the figures.

but the flags for the Austrians were positioned on the front right rank of each battalion so that the unit could guide off the colors accordingly.

The figures are based for ERS (the rules produced by The Wargaming Company). This is a higher lever set of rules that has 1 Stand = 1 Battalion, so the three field battalions of the Regiment are correctly represented for that rule set.

The degree to which German Regiments adopted the shako in a slightly different matter. I would use them for 1809 (or in helmets for 1813) because I too game in 10mm (but not with ESR as my main rules) and on the table I could look at the unit and say "It's Austrian and a 'German' regiment."

BillyNM20 Aug 2019 10:01 a.m. PST

Nice but more pictures of the range would be nice as many manufacturers figures vary in quality of sculpt.

Real Richard Hensley20 Aug 2019 10:20 a.m. PST

"The figures are based for ERS (the rules produced by The Wargaming Company). This is a higher lever set of rules that has 1 Stand = 1 Battalion, so the three field battalions of the Regiment are correctly represented for that rule set."

Well, I get that one stand is one battalion. I was talking about the positioning of the flag on the stand, which would be in this case positioning the flag in relation to the rest of the battalion. So if one is to do it "correctly" it would seem that position the flag bearer would be the right front-most figure of the stand.

Old Glory Sponsoring Member of TMP20 Aug 2019 11:38 a.m. PST

Figures,flags,painting,basing --all look great ---!!

Regards
Russ Dunaway
(mighty ruler and king over all Old Glory land)

Historique20 Aug 2019 11:39 a.m. PST

A pity that The Wargaming Company will not be at Nashcon this year.

Old Glory Sponsoring Member of TMP20 Aug 2019 12:10 p.m. PST

A top notch company managed by professional people who really love the hobby and what they are doing!!
Sort of reminds me of ----?????? ME, about 30 years ago with Old Glory?

The Wargaming Company20 Aug 2019 2:39 p.m. PST

Russ That is incredibly kind, thank you for the compliments and encouragement!

Real Richard Hensley Interesting, does that vary by what formation the battalion was formed in? Can you point us at any material that discusses it?

BillyNM As noted in the original post, we're in the process of taking new and additional photography of the line. We're just posting a handful of them here, the bulk are obviously going on the product pages as we get them done and uploaded. You can see some of the Prussian landwehr infantry here: TMP link

Historique Wish we could be there! We're hoping that as the date is adjusted next year we are able to return in 2020.

138SquadronRAF You are totally correct, we favor the thick bases for exactly the reason you note: handling. With that said, we also try to mitigate the visual of the base edge, if you check out this post: TMP link you'll see how we wrap the "terrain" we do on the base around the edge, and one of the visual benefits of our Classic Grassland Mat is that the bases largely disappear visually as evidenced here:

-TWC
thewargamingcompany.com

Real Richard Hensley21 Aug 2019 10:04 a.m. PST

Only in square was the battalion flag other than on the front right. Illustrations are available in the Exercier-Reglement of 1808 (my copy has 31 pull out plates), as well as in a few English-language works. Keep up the great work, guys!!!!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.