Help support TMP

"Rules recommendations for commando raids" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

421 hits since 13 Aug 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

LostPict Supporting Member of TMP13 Aug 2019 4:13 p.m. PST

I am contemplating my gaming group running a commando raid on a nazi airfield along the lines of Operation Albumen. The idea is that each character would run a SAS commando (or someone with similar skills) and I would run the defending force. I am not looking for cinematic and would love some rules recommendations.

nnascati Supporting Member of TMP13 Aug 2019 6:06 p.m. PST

If you are talking skirmish level, take a look at Flying Lead from Ganesha Games. It plays WWII pretty well. Also Pulp Alley, while it may be too cinematic, it does give a good, objective based game.

Northern Monkey13 Aug 2019 6:18 p.m. PST

Chain of Command has a big focus on leadership. Seems ideal to me.

saltflats192913 Aug 2019 6:21 p.m. PST

I would use Nuts! from 2hour wargames for that type of game.

Verily13 Aug 2019 7:33 p.m. PST

"Black Ops" from Osprey might be worth looking at.

Mike Mayes Supporting Member of TMP13 Aug 2019 7:38 p.m. PST

Black Ops for the stealth rules, even if you use them with another set of rules.

Lee49414 Aug 2019 2:41 a.m. PST

My Skirmish Action Rules were designed to accomodate WWII Commando type raids. There are even some included scenarios. I regularly run Pegasus Bridge at cons and my website even has Free PDFs to run a Modern SEAL TEAM Six Raid. The C&C rules plus the Troop Quality (Q) Rating provide Special Forces with real life advantages. In addition weapons are specific, for example; the British STEN, US Thompson SMG and German MP40 all have different stats to reflect real life differences, as in other rules they are not just lumped together under SMG. So take some British SAS arm them with Tommy Guns and have fun! Lee

actionsrules.com

khanscom14 Aug 2019 4:57 p.m. PST

Featherstone's "Skirmish Wargaming" perhaps? It's a somewhat simplified Colonial Skirmish type of game, and very detailed. I found this style of rule pretty tedious in application, but it might be to your taste.

Fitzovich14 Aug 2019 5:03 p.m. PST

I would look at One Hour Skirmish Wargame Rules.

LostPict Supporting Member of TMP15 Aug 2019 6:05 p.m. PST

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have some research to do.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.