Help support TMP

"Fallshirmjager Painting Questions" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Back to the WWII Painting Guides Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

Featured Hobby News Article

1,112 hits since 22 Jul 2019
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

DukeWacoan Supporting Member of TMP Fezian22 Jul 2019 8:18 a.m. PST

I am looking at up to, but not after, Crete.

Seeking clarification on a few things I've read on the web and on TMP.

Helmet covers? I'm looking at the Farnsworth guide. Farnsworth says Slinternusfer 41 camo, but 1940 smocks would be either matching the jumpsuit? or I've also seen the Luftwaffe Blue? Also looking for thoughts on the band color on those.

Lastly, Farnsworth uses the term "smock" but not jumpsuit. What about jumpsuits thru Crete.

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP22 Jul 2019 9:23 a.m. PST

The smocks were used all war and at least some of the troopers who dropped in Crete wore the first pattern ("step-in") smock

The first issue of helmet covers were manufactured from plain grey-green material but were quickly replaced with helmet covers in green splinter-pattern material – so in 1940 I would suspect grey-green

Personal logo Jeff Ewing Supporting Member of TMP22 Jul 2019 11:01 a.m. PST

A lot of the figures are sculpted w/o the cover anyway (Almost all of mine are 1940-41).

DukeWacoan Supporting Member of TMP Fezian22 Jul 2019 11:18 a.m. PST

I'm using Perry's so not sure about the covers.

DukeWacoan Supporting Member of TMP Fezian22 Jul 2019 11:25 a.m. PST

Looking at the Perry figs, none appear to be in jumpsuits.

It also appears that all are in "smocks" and there are no "tunics" which would be the Luftwaffe blue. If so then the Crete coats would all be the gray-green, with a smaller portion Splinter camo Sound right?

jdginaz23 Jul 2019 10:40 a.m. PST

They are actually all wearing latter pattern jumpsuits, which I believe weren't available for Crete. The latter patterns had snaps that allow them to be fastened around the legs for the jump but the unsnapped to allow more freedom of movement afterwards. The FJs didn't usually use smocks.

Fred Cartwright23 Jul 2019 10:43 a.m. PST

Looking at the Perry figs, none appear to be in jumpsuits.

Perry FJ are for Western Desert and represent Ramcke brigade, so they have the later pattern smock which buttoned up around the legs, but was often left unbuttoned in combat. They would also be fine for Italy and Normandy 44. As I understand it normal European wear for FJ would be shirt and trousers or pants for our American cousins, over that a tunic in Luftwaffe blue and then the jump smock over that. In hot climes the tunic would be omitted and the jump smock worn over the shirt, or the smock left off, shirtsleeve order.

DukeWacoan Supporting Member of TMP Fezian23 Jul 2019 11:18 a.m. PST

OK, thanks for that info.

Are there Ramcke painting examples you would suggest?

I assume they could be used for Tunisia?

WARGAMESBUFF26 Jul 2019 4:42 a.m. PST

I painted mine in tropical uniform.
So I could use them for Crete, Tunisia, Italy and of course the paras that were near Eindhoven still had their tropical uniforms on.

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP26 Jul 2019 5:29 a.m. PST

This may be of some help

link

Mick in Switzerland11 Aug 2019 7:43 a.m. PST

@DukeWacoan,

I am Michael Farnworth. Are you using the free guides on Artizan and Crusader or are you using my book?

link

For Crete, I would recommend Crusader or Perry figures as they are wearing the earlier type smock (looks like a laboratory coat with shorts legs). This would have been grey green colour.

I also have a Facebook Group where you can ask questions link

DukeWacoan Supporting Member of TMP Fezian12 Aug 2019 12:11 p.m. PST

I have Farnsworth, but will look at the book.

Thanks for the direction.

DukeWacoan Supporting Member of TMP Fezian15 Aug 2019 10:19 a.m. PST

Still muddling around about what to do with my Perry Fallschirmjagers. My original plan was to use them for Crete, but perhaps it makes more sense to use them for Tunisia since I'm told the Perry figs are not right for Crete. So I understand for Tunisia it would be 5th FJR and Barenthin, and remnants of Ramcke from El Alamein.

5th FJR seems to have come directly from Northern Italy. Barenthin was evidently newly formed. So while Ramcke would be Tropical, a question is whether or not 5FJR and Barenthin would have had the grey-green European uniforms since they were rushed from there, or Tropical.

Also, my assumption is that painting a bunch in Spittermuster 41 would be appropriate, but with those, would they have Tropical pants or not?

Thoughts?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.