Help support TMP

"HMS Amethyst the Yangtse Incident 1948" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Cold War (1946-1989) Message Board

Areas of Interest

Modern

271 hits since 11 Jun 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP11 Jun 2019 4:30 p.m. PST

"THE STORY OF THE SO-CALLED YANGTSE INCIDENT and the saga of HMS Amethyst has been told and retold in the Press and over the Radio of the world, but I shall attempt to give a more personal account as it affected my wife and myself; and it affected us very closely, for Bill Skinner, the late Commanding Officer and his wife, Monica, were very dear friends of ours, and of course we knew the other officers.

Bill had come out in November 1948 to take command, and after some effort we finally succeeded in getting a couple of rooms to which his wife and two sons could come. There was great excitement when finally she took passage in the Dunera, especially as Amethyst was due for refit in Hong Kong a few weeks after her arrival. And then he received orders to go to Shanghai, and afterwards to Nanking to relieve Consort, to sail a few hours before Dunera arrived. However, fortunately his sailing was delayed 24 hours and they were able to see each other for a few hours…."
Main page

link

Amicalement
Armand

Thresher01 Supporting Member of TMP11 Jun 2019 8:55 p.m. PST

That's a very interesting story.

Thanks for sharing.

I was never aware of this before.

shaun from s and s models Supporting Member of TMP12 Jun 2019 2:07 a.m. PST

there is a b&w film of it
link

Jeffers Supporting Member of TMP12 Jun 2019 7:40 a.m. PST

Don't forget Able Seacat Simon…

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP12 Jun 2019 12:00 p.m. PST

A votre service mon ami!. (smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.