Help support TMP

"Colonial Battlefleet by Steeldreadnought - questions" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Spaceship Gaming Message Board

Areas of Interest

Science Fiction

685 hits since 16 May 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Skullhamma16 May 2019 10:37 p.m. PST

I have been thinking about purchasing this ruleset, but I have some questions.

1. Do I have to use hexes for movement?
2. Is there an option to build ships that are smaller than a destroyer (Frigates, Corvettes)?
3. Firearcs are said to be broader than in Full Thrust. Are they maybe like in Firestorm Armada, so I can use square bases for my ships?

Thanks a lot, fellow fleet commanders!

Toaster16 May 2019 11:37 p.m. PST

1. It's not manadtory, just use inches and 60deg turns. However it also uses hexes to police a stacking limit on fighters and to limit missile movement enough so that dodging them can be a whole subgame in itself so they certainly make the game run smoothly.

2. It doesn't get smaller but destroyers run from 40 to 84 mass so if you want to call 40 to 50 corvettes and 50 to 60 frigates it will work fine.

3. sorry no, front and rear arcs are broader then the side arcs and there is a 1 hex wide line of overlap between adjacent arcs.

Personally I had some bad experiences with hex's back in the 90's but the idea of the tech levels was something I'd wanted in a game for years so I picked the rules up with the idea of seeing if I could port the tech levels to Full Thrust… I've been playing Colonial Battlefleet as my first choice game ever since.

Robert

Skullhamma17 May 2019 5:44 a.m. PST

Thanks for you quick answer!

So, if I understood correctly, Hex mat is not necessary, but more convenient for some situations of gameplay? And if I wanted, I could play on a black blanket, with a measuring device and round bases under my spaceships?

Just to be sure… ;)

Hamilton17 May 2019 7:32 a.m. PST

I think you could use square bases if that matters to you. In CBF, front and rear arcs are nominally 120 degrees, left and right arcs are nominally 60 degrees. The overlap is just an artifact of the hex system.
If you paint arc lines on the bases they just won't look as nice on square since they won't line up with the corners.

gamershs Supporting Member of TMP17 May 2019 5:30 p.m. PST

Strange question. Who makes the miniatures that the rules can use. I have many space fleets and am not going to buy a set of rules that require me to buy another set of miniatures made by company X.

I have fleets (note: more then one fleet in each line) in
Galactic Knights
Full Thrust
Babylon 5 – full size
Babylon 5 – Combat size

Toaster17 May 2019 6:44 p.m. PST

@Gamershs,

Totally sandbox game with a full design system. You can use all your existing fleets. One of the original design criteria was a game that could do Star Wars vs Star Trek (Note results may vary based on your design assumptions for specific universes).

Robert

Skullhamma18 May 2019 1:21 a.m. PST

I'm going to use Firestorm Armada miniatures. But since I just bought a Space gaming mat, I don't want to purchase another with hexes (Difficult anyway after Corsec Engineering has closed it's shop).
I read nothing but high praise for Colonial Battlefleet, but I'm worried that it might be too fiddly without having a grid on my board.

This is my stuff I want to use:

link

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.