Help support TMP

"Kesselsdorf Prussian Dragoons" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 18th Century Painting Guides Message Board

Areas of Interest

18th Century

373 hits since 15 May 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

mollinary15 May 2019 2:08 p.m. PST

Kesselsdorf took place in December 1745. I have seen it suggested that the changeover of Prussian Dragoon uniforms from white to light blue took place over 1744-45, brought about by the need to distinguish them from Austrian Cuirassiers. There were six regiments of Prussian Dragoons at Kesselsdorf, 4,5,7,8,9,10. Does anyone know of any evidence as to whether they would have worn white or light blue uniforms? Unless there is evidence to the contrary, my base assumption would be that by December 1745 they would all be in light blue. Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Personal logo Herkybird Supporting Member of TMP15 May 2019 2:37 p.m. PST

The Osprey books say the change occurred between mid 1745 to early 1746, so I would say they would most likely be blue at this battle. These are images purportedly showing Prussian Dragoons at this date.

picture

picture
Prussian Dragoner-Regiment Holstein-Gottorp No 9: Battle of Kesselsdorf : picture by Adolph Menzel

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP15 May 2019 7:18 p.m. PST

Agree – my Prussian dragoons for that time are all light blue

mollinary16 May 2019 5:13 a.m. PST

Thanks Herky. The top print actually shows the Old Dessauer praying before the battle, so does not actually show a dragoon uniform. The one of Holstein Gottorp shows the uniform after 1762, when the white plume was adopted for the first time. I took my 1744-45 timeframe from Daniel Hohrath's monumental work on the Uniforms of the Prussian Army of Frederick the Great. What I wondered was whether anyone was aware of clothing warrants or suchlike documents which might refine the date for individual regiments?

Personal logo Herkybird Supporting Member of TMP16 May 2019 12:12 p.m. PST

Hi Mollinary, thanks, I got the pics from a google image search and didn't check before posting!!!
That'll learn me!

mollinary16 May 2019 12:14 p.m. PST

You are welcome. A mistake I have made myself in the past! But thanks at least for trying to help, it is kind of you.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.