Help support TMP

"British 16th Light Dragoon Helmet" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

Areas of Interest

18th Century

434 hits since 14 May 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Membership System will be closing for maintenance in 11 minutes. Please finish anything that will involve the membership system, including membership changes or posting of messages.

Normal Guy Supporting Member of TMP14 May 2019 4:46 p.m. PST

Folks,

I am working on a unit of 28mm Old Glory Dragoons to be painted as the 16th Lights. My question is: the helmet shows trim around the front piece and an emblem on the front piece as well. What color is that trim work (apologies for lack of correct term)? Is it silver? White? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cavcrazy14 May 2019 6:00 p.m. PST

I did mine silver

Normal Guy Supporting Member of TMP15 May 2019 7:57 a.m. PST

Thanks!

historygamer Supporting Member of TMP15 May 2019 1:17 p.m. PST

The 16th wore Tarleton helmets with fake leopard skin around the lower portion. The 17th wore their regulation helmet with skull and crossbones motif.

Normal Guy Supporting Member of TMP15 May 2019 5:46 p.m. PST

Thanks for the additional information, hg.

42flanker Supporting Member of TMP16 May 2019 3:57 a.m. PST

Normal Guy, it sounds like you have figures with the earlier style of 'helmet cap' of copper with Neo-Classical 'comb' and a frontal plate displaying the Royal cipher and regimental emblems, associated with the early ears of the Light Dragoon regiments 1750s-1760s. The 'turban' on these would have been of a dark cloth either black, or perhaps blue (for a Royal Regiment). I believe the Queen's cipher on the front plate would have been in white for the men and silver for officers.

Historygamer has described the peaked leather cap with a bearskin crest, which the 16th Light Dragoons adopted round the time they embarked for America in 1776, later referred to as a 'Tarleton.' This is supposed to have had a turban painted to look like leopard skin. Any emblems had to be mounted on the side of the cap

So it depends on which type of helmet your figures are supplied with.

Lots of enthusiastic discussion here:

TMP link
and here
TMP link

Normal Guy Supporting Member of TMP16 May 2019 12:24 p.m. PST

Thanks for all the input, folks, 42nd, your comments described where I have been at. Have been painting 28mm AWI for a number of years but always trying to make things better. I have a number of books, Mollo and Troiani included, and I couldn't find any definite answers. And the castings i do have are from the earlier helmet. Interesting. Curious to see that there are no definite answers, like so much of the AWI uniforms research. Anyway, this is what i so appreciate TMP for providing: lots of knowledge, information, and encouragement. THANKS!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.