Help support TMP

"Looking for non hex based rules" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Age of Sail Message Board

Areas of Interest

Renaissance
18th Century
Napoleonic
19th Century

617 hits since 4 May 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

charles popp04 May 2019 1:31 p.m. PST

So what would you guys say are about the best medium complexity set out there?

Oldgrumbler Supporting Member of TMP04 May 2019 1:51 p.m. PST

David Manleys' Form Line of Battle

link

Personal logo War Artisan Sponsoring Member of TMP04 May 2019 3:36 p.m. PST

A half-dozen systems covered by this survey would fit your description:

PDF link

Personal logo Herkybird Supporting Member of TMP04 May 2019 4:10 p.m. PST

Sails of Glory still floats my boat!

Blutarski04 May 2019 4:24 p.m. PST

My rules – "Steer to Glory".

;-)

B

charles popp04 May 2019 5:39 p.m. PST

For Mr Manley's rules are there anyplace to get more ship stats than what is in the book?

Personal logo War Artisan Sponsoring Member of TMP04 May 2019 6:36 p.m. PST

What more were you looking for, exactly?

There are already 21 classes of ship (and 18 more for the 17th century) which, when combined with four possible Crew Quality ratings and four Command Quality ratings, yields a very large number of performance gradations that cover pretty much every possibility.

Yellow Admiral Supporting Member of TMP05 May 2019 4:25 a.m. PST

If you mean stats for real ships, from which to derive the game stats, FLOB doesn't require much more than naval OOBs showing the name and number of guns, and a sense for how a warship compared to its contemporaries (lighter or heavier construction, stronger or weaker hull timbers, better or worse crew, few or many marines, if it mounted any special weapons like carronades or mortars, special considerations like a fouled bottom, crank/topheavy, etc.).

If you want more detail, try looking up individual ships on threedecks.org or Wikipedia. There is also the excellent series of books on Warships in the Age of Sail covering the British, French, Dutch and Russian navies.

I made a spreadsheet for quickly generating FLOB rosters, which you can get here: link

- Ix

Fitzovich05 May 2019 6:51 a.m. PST

I am partial to Limeys & Slimeys which is free download on the internet.

whitejamest05 May 2019 6:52 a.m. PST

War Artisan that is a very handy comparison sheet you've put together. I think I need to give some of those a try.

Charles Popp, for medium complexity in a non hex-based system I'd recommend you give Kiss Me Hardy a try. It has a decent movement mechanic, and the combat doesn't turn into a fireworks show too quickly, but there is no crew assignment mechanic and for the most part damage is generalized. You don't have to worry about your fore topgallant yard being shot away for example. Though you may have to repair your rudder or put out a fire. It's very easy to customize, and the average player would probably be quite comfortable commanding several ships.

Stew art Supporting Member of TMP09 May 2019 9:08 a.m. PST

I like Post Captain

Wrote a small review here…

link

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.