Help support TMP

"Renaissance Boardgame for campaign" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the English Civil War Message Board

Back to the Getting Started with Renaissance Gaming Message Board

Back to the Renaissance Media Message Board

Back to the Renaissance Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Renaissance

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Workbench Article

856 hits since 1 May 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pvt Snuffy02 May 2019 5:51 a.m. PST

I'm interested in some pike and shotte renaissance, and always enjoy having a means to leverage campaign gaming with a boardgame.

I've looked around at a couple of the manufacturers like Compass and Decision games, and haven't seen anything along the renaissance theme.

Anyone have any good board game suggestions for campaigns of maybe the ECW, 30YW, 80YW or some of the other Pike / Shotte wars later, even up to the League of Augsburg?

If course, I could just make something up using a point to point system, but I've had some good luck with this in the past for the Shenandoah Valley campaigns of the ACW and now am working on the War of 1812 as a combo board/table game.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Personal logo aegiscg47 Supporting Member of TMP02 May 2019 6:10 a.m. PST

There's Spanish Fury from the Perfect Captain that has a campaign, naval, siege, and other assorted rule sets that are free here:
link

I believe they also have a Wars of Religion campaign as well. They provide rules, maps, counters, etc., for all of their systems.

Although it can be hard to find and a good copy can be pricey, the Avalon Hill boardgames Machiavelli could be used as a campaign setting.

mad monkey 102 May 2019 6:33 a.m. PST

Check out this:
link

Pvt Snuffy02 May 2019 9:08 a.m. PST

Won by the Sword looks promising.

Thanks, I was thinking about the Perfect Captain.

I guess my wildest dream would be a boardgame about Montrose or some other small, manageable campaign.

Wackmole9 Supporting Member of TMP02 May 2019 9:18 a.m. PST

unhappy charles from gmt

Timbo W02 May 2019 2:53 p.m. PST

Not sure if it's still available but The King's War by Charles Vasey was a country-wide ECW boardgame. Someone from TMP was running a campaign with it earlier this year.

Yellow Admiral02 May 2019 6:08 p.m. PST

The board from Unhappy King Charles is only $20 USD from GMT: link

WKeyser02 May 2019 7:36 p.m. PST

For both the GMT games you can down load the rules and figure out if these will work for you.

Whirlwind03 May 2019 12:08 a.m. PST

Not sure if it's still available but The King's War by Charles Vasey was a country-wide ECW boardgame. Someone from TMP was running a campaign with it earlier this year.

Yes, I used The King's War for my ECW campaign. It worked great: link

Big Red Supporting Member of TMP03 May 2019 3:57 a.m. PST

I believe The King's War and Unhappy King Charles were both written by Charles Vasey.

Is Unhappy King Charles a refinement of The Kings War or a totally different system?

Pvt Snuffy03 May 2019 4:49 a.m. PST

Correct.

Unhappy Charles is card-driven and appears to be a different game. However, it's hard for me to think that Charles Vasey didn't refine the earlier game into a different one that he wanted to do.

Pvt Snuffy03 May 2019 4:49 a.m. PST

I don't suppose anyone knows of a board game about either the Austro-Turkish was of the 17th C.

Or Montrose during the ECW?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.