Help support TMP

"Making ACW Fences in 54mm or 1/32" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Toy Gaming Discussion Message Board

Back to the Plastic Figures Message Board

Back to the ACW Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

General
American Civil War
Toy Gaming

Featured Hobby News Article

Top-Rated Ruleset

Rank & File

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Showcase Article

Sugar Plum Fairy Set

The Sovereign of Sweets and her entourage take their turn in Showcase.

Featured Profile Article

Other Games at Council of Five Nations 2011

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian snapped some photos of games he didn't get a chance to play in at Council of Five Nations.

819 hits since 20 Apr 2019
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pvt Snuffy20 Apr 2019 6:36 p.m. PST

I'm kicking around ideas for ACW fencing. I've found some cheap plastic ones from China, and have thought about making them from small branches or small craft sticks.

The terrain I'm making up would be Shenandoah Valley through Gettysburg, so N. VA, MD and S. PA.

Anyone have bright ideas? I'm planning on painting my ACW plastics in a toy soldier style, so they don't actually need to be super realistic as long as they look cool.

Thanks for your thoughts!

cavcrazy20 Apr 2019 7:25 p.m. PST

Try Hobby Bunker. On their website look under manufacturers, and go to Marx. They have all types of recast accessories, you should find what you need there.
Good luck.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP20 Apr 2019 7:41 p.m. PST

Lemax split rail fence. I think BMC is making stone fence with rails on top.

Rdfraf Supporting Member of TMP20 Apr 2019 8:00 p.m. PST

The Lemax ones are great but I believe they are discontinued.

Sgt Slag21 Apr 2019 11:39 a.m. PST

I took the Chinese plastic fences, and I painted Minwax Polyshades Urethane Stain on them, Royal Walnut color. I then Hot Glued them onto 2" squares of MDF. I painted PVA Wood Glue on the MDF, over the molded plastic base, in oddly swirling patterns; dunked it into a reddish brown sand (North Shore of Lake Superior). When that dried, I painted PVA Wood Glue on the remaining portions, and dunked it into a mixture of two different green sands. They look great from arm's length, and beyond. Quick, easy, and inexpensive.

I do not have many of the split-rail fence sections, but I have plenty of WW II Barbed Wire sections, which I repeated the same process. I also applied it to steer highway rail guard sections -- I have a number of these, as well.

They all work superbly for my Army Men games. Great terrain pieces. Best of luck! Cheers!

Pvt Snuffy22 Apr 2019 5:40 a.m. PST

A Lot of places have their fences out of stock – it's hard to tell the manufacturer due to bad labeling.

Hobby Bunker had these
link

Michigan Toy Soldier Co. had two products both out of stock.

BMC split-rail fence over stone is out of stock.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP22 Apr 2019 6:27 a.m. PST

Try Amazon, ebay, and the Classic Toy Soldier Company.

Sgt Slag22 Apr 2019 8:11 a.m. PST

This is similar to what I have, though not identical. The price is right, though: 14 sections for $0.83 USD each, $0.14 USD shipping from China.

If you want to paint the plastic, you can apply regular acrylic paints directly on the plastic, as long as you seal it with urethane; or, better yet, use Paint for Plastics (plastic-specific acrylic paints), or you could spray paint them with paint made for plastics (Krylon, or Rustoleum, for example). Cheers!

The H Man Supporting Member of TMP30 Apr 2019 5:35 p.m. PST

You could try wooden popsticks, match sticks and tounge depresses.

Lay out two pop sticks one about 5-10 mm above the other. Dot on pva and glue on 2 match sticks for posts. Once dry hotglue to tounge depresses. One fence section. Of course you will do them in large numbers. You can also clip and or whittle the popsticks for a more realistic look.

Paint as you see fit.

AICUSV07 May 2019 6:43 p.m. PST

Living in the area that you are talking about, I wouldn't use either of the fences shown in the links above. They're a post and rail type, around here either the snake rail type or they used ones that had the rails stacked between two uprights.

EJNashIII11 May 2019 7:02 a.m. PST

I agree with AICUSV, neither of those fences is very good for ACW.

picture
or link If you can't get the proper ones in plastic I think I would just make them out of craft supplies.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.