Help support TMP

"Book Review: Napoleonís Australia, by Terry Smyth" Topic

3 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Media Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

198 hits since 12 Apr 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP12 Apr 2019 4:01 p.m. PST

"Terry Smyth is an award-winning journalist, writer on historical topics, maker of programs for the ABC and a working musician. I have to admit to being suspicious of a history book with the subtitle The Incredible Story of Bonaparte's Secret Plan to Invade Australia, particularly when looking up his other works. I discovered this is his second Incredible Story. The first was about Australian gangsters in California.

The book is well researched and with good sources and notes, so why does the author feel the need to suggest what people were thinking? How does he know Bennelong Ďis more bemused than impressed' by London (page 12)? Unlike Smyth, I do find it difficult to imagine Bennelong chuckling when the French are also called savages by the London press…."

Full review here

link

Amicalement
Armand

AussieAndy Supporting Member of TMP12 Apr 2019 4:36 p.m. PST

The title was enough to make me steer clear of that one, but, if the review is anything to go on, it should be avoided like the plague. Penguin Random House really should know better.

Thanks Tango.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP13 Apr 2019 12:04 p.m. PST

A votre service mon ami!. (smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.