Help support TMP

"Warlords of Erehwon" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy Product Reviews Message Board

Areas of Interest

Fantasy

Featured Hobby News Article

720 hits since 11 Apr 2019
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

JimDuncanUK12 Apr 2019 11:14 a.m. PST

Anyone got any up-to-date opinions or experience of these rules and figures?

link

I like the look of the figures and would probably buy some anyway. How about the rules?

chuck05 Supporting Member of TMP Fezian12 Apr 2019 1:29 p.m. PST

Watched a battle report and it looks like it uses the same system as Bolt Action and Gates of Antares

Personal logo The Nigerian Lead Minister Supporting Member of TMP12 Apr 2019 3:26 p.m. PST

There is some interesting stuff. D10, random activation fantasy gaming with some cool touches. But it is stuck with the Bolt Action dice and concepts. Fantasy doesn't need to go Down when shot at or accumulate pins when it fights. Maybe if they had changed the names it would feel more like fantasy, but they are stuck with the BA dice. I plan on actually trying it out this weekend as I like a lot of what they did and it shows promise, altho it reads like they smashed fantasy and WW2 together in a clunky way.

Mkultra9915 Apr 2019 6:59 a.m. PST

It differs from both BA and BtGoA, in small ways.. for the better. Previous poster is right, for some reason they still call 'pins'.. 'pins' and not 'shock' or 'exhaustion' or something. But once you get over that it plays well. Not terribly deep but much like BlackPowder/Hail Caesar/et al.. its meant for breaking out your old fantasy army from 1985, drinking and rolling dice around the game table with old chums. The army lists are hit or miss, some got love.. and some didn't. In our group the "Beastman" list and the "Knight" list became the catch all for armies that weren't expressly covered in the book. We immediately found that spears, aura of timidity, and level 3 wizards in general are broke. Also, if you do not take a wizard and your opponent does, expect to lose. As, I said tho'.. its by no means a 'competitive' or well balanced game and it doesn't intend to be such. Personally, I went back to AoS for my fantasy.

Dave Gamer30 Apr 2019 8:00 p.m. PST

Yes – I was painting up my old circa 2000-2005 Warhammer stuff for HoTT when I saw Erehwon. I'm more of a mass battles guy than a skirmish guy, but it looked interesting so I picked it up. It has rules for goblin fanatics (called Whirling Dervishes in the game) but not Spider Riders (use wolf riders instead). Read the rules, watched some YouTube videos on it, and then said "meh" – I'll stick with HoTT. The YouTube videos *did* get me interested in the "Beyond The Gates of Antares" game (which uses the same mechanics).

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.