Help support TMP

"How often do you game with spaceships?" Topic

52 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Spaceship Gaming Message Board

Back to the TMP Poll Suggestions Message Board

Areas of Interest

General
Science Fiction

896 hits since 9 Apr 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pages: 1 2 

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian09 Apr 2019 4:11 p.m. PST

With what frequency do you play miniature games involving spaceships fighting one another?

14th NJ Vol Supporting Member of TMP09 Apr 2019 4:14 p.m. PST

I never have

Garryowen Supporting Member of TMP09 Apr 2019 4:41 p.m. PST

Never.

Tom

SOB Van Owen09 Apr 2019 4:44 p.m. PST

Not in 20 years.

Micman09 Apr 2019 5:02 p.m. PST

I haven't for about 6 months. I plan on doing so within the next 6 months.

Must Contain Minis09 Apr 2019 5:15 p.m. PST

Used to be a lot more when I was into X-Wing. Lately, I haven't played these types of games. Perhaps in the future, but I find myself more drawn to the Historical and Fantasy games at this point in my life.

TheBeast Supporting Member of TMP09 Apr 2019 5:24 p.m. PST

I missed the 'do you still play FT?' poll, which I would have answered 'yes', though it's actually been awhile.

Whenever I do get ships on the table at the store, there's a regular stream of folk saying 'oh, yeah, Full Thrust. Gotta play it one of these days…'

Breath-holding is contra-indicated. *sigh*

Doug

Edit: Mind,if I ever took up X-Wing, I'd find plenty of gaming. Just not my cuppa…

Toaster09 Apr 2019 5:36 p.m. PST

my mate and I have a Colonial Battlefleet campaign that has been running on alternate weeks for a year now.

Robert

DOUGKL09 Apr 2019 5:47 p.m. PST

A couple of times per year. Our group has a wide variety of interests.

roving bandit09 Apr 2019 6:07 p.m. PST

It's been a few months. But normally half a dozen or so games a year.

khanscom09 Apr 2019 6:26 p.m. PST

Maybe once every 4- 5 years.

Personal logo Narratio Supporting Member of TMP09 Apr 2019 7:17 p.m. PST

Could be once every 5 years or so.

von Schwartz09 Apr 2019 7:39 p.m. PST

Never have, maybe, under the right circumstances

TGerritsen09 Apr 2019 8:58 p.m. PST

A few times a year.

BrockLanders09 Apr 2019 9:02 p.m. PST

About once a year

Oberlindes Sol LIC09 Apr 2019 9:03 p.m. PST

Maybe once a year or every other year. There was a time when it was just about monthly.

Alcibiades09 Apr 2019 11:09 p.m. PST

Funny you should ask. After about 5 years of gathering dust, I got my Babylon 5 collection out a couple of months ago and had a tip top Centauri versus Minbari bash with a couple of mates. I had forgotten how much fun A Call to Arms was.

ZULUPAUL Supporting Member of TMP10 Apr 2019 2:40 a.m. PST

Never, no interest

Personal logo PzGeneral Supporting Member of TMP10 Apr 2019 4:12 a.m. PST

Once, twice a year.

Just dug out Battlefleet Gothic.

Was alot of fun.

Dagwood10 Apr 2019 4:40 a.m. PST

Not for the last 40 years …

Norrins10 Apr 2019 5:24 a.m. PST

I play Attack Wing at least once a month.

Joes Shop Supporting Member of TMP10 Apr 2019 5:32 a.m. PST

Never

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP10 Apr 2019 5:45 a.m. PST

I have done it once or twice, but not any time recently

Stryderg10 Apr 2019 5:47 a.m. PST

Not nearly often enough.

Personal logo Sgt Slag Supporting Member of TMP10 Apr 2019 6:34 a.m. PST

Just recently purchased a set of 144 toy space ship models off of Amazon. I'm 3/4 of the way to finishing their painting. Need them for a demo of a gaming table, at Austi-Con, May 3-5, in a couple of weeks.

Bought them to demo the table, but after seeing them, and painting them up, I really want to game with them. I played the three little black book RPG, Traveller, back in the early 1980's. We had a few space ship battles. Had a co-worker who played Star Fleet Battles, in the mid-80's. I always was intrigued with that. I played Full Thrust, once, around 2000. Always had the bug to do it, now I have some ship models to do it with! Need to find a set of rules, first, though. Cheers!

Old Wolfman10 Apr 2019 6:43 a.m. PST

Did a variant of Aerodrome 1.1 with BSG craft,classic and later series Vipers vs. Cylons at GenCon .

Hamilton10 Apr 2019 7:12 a.m. PST

At least once a month. I just got my C&C Red Alert KS package so that's hitting the table this weekend (or sooner!)

Personal logo Andrew Walters Supporting Member of TMP10 Apr 2019 7:38 a.m. PST

Now often enough. Gotta do something about that. I have enough parts…

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP10 Apr 2019 8:17 a.m. PST

Probably once in the last 30 years. I played occasionally in the late 70s and early 80s.

Uesugi Kenshin Supporting Member of TMP10 Apr 2019 8:31 a.m. PST

Once in the last 35 years.

Old Contemptibles Supporting Member of TMP10 Apr 2019 11:10 a.m. PST

Once in the early 1980s. Since then no.

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP10 Apr 2019 11:11 a.m. PST

Not as much as I would like!

Used to play X-Wing a lot, and I wrote GOBS, and a "Ogre in space" "one page wonder" I call Starcrusher, as well as (much longer ago) a hex-based near future interplanetary spacecraft combat game I originally called High Frontier, till someone else took the name. And I have Triplanetary, Battleship Galaxies, Planet Busters, and more on the shelf.

But I haven't played any of these in over a year! THIS MUST BE ADDRESSED!

Personal logo Herkybird Supporting Member of TMP10 Apr 2019 11:24 a.m. PST

I get to play X-Wing a couple of times a year, due to lack of opponents at our club. Never mind.

Personal logo StoneMtnMinis Supporting Member of TMP10 Apr 2019 3:02 p.m. PST

Silent Death a couple of times last yhear. Zero so far this year.

Covert Walrus10 Apr 2019 3:12 p.m. PST

Not for about 18 months.

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP10 Apr 2019 6:40 p.m. PST

A few times a year. Would prefer more often.

Perris070710 Apr 2019 7:48 p.m. PST

NEVER

Legion 411 Apr 2019 8:08 a.m. PST

Not in a long time … However with 6mm Sci-fi we can call-in Orbital Support from spaceships, Orbital Weapons Platforms, etc. Kind of like calling-in Naval Fire Support.

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP11 Apr 2019 8:54 a.m. PST

we can call-in Orbital Support from spaceships

For a long time, I've wanted to make an acetate table with an annulus grid on it that stands 18-24" above the tabletop to play orbital asset battles that correlate with ground actions.

Old Contemptibles Supporting Member of TMP12 Apr 2019 5:36 p.m. PST

Never

Lonely Gamer12 Apr 2019 5:58 p.m. PST

Three or four times a week, but that does include playtesting new rules or scenarios for Stars & Lasers.

Legion 413 Apr 2019 7:33 a.m. PST

For a long time, I've wanted to make an acetate table with an annulus grid on it that stands 18-24" above the tabletop to play orbital asset battles that correlate with ground actions.
Of course like I said it's a paradigm similar to naval fire support, or distance batteries way off-board. Just like in the real world …

KJdidit13 Apr 2019 10:05 p.m. PST

Not for about 4 years, though I did dig out my Federation Commander stuff today. Will probably run a few solo games in the next few weeks to get the hang of some of the systems I haven't used for a while (or ever).

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP14 Apr 2019 4:38 a.m. PST

similar to naval fire support,

With traditional, ballistic, NGFS you pretty much have to have maritime dominance for the platform since you are running a very controlled gunline. Any harassment pretty much nerfs your ability for the precision targeting required.

With a modern guided OTH munition you have a larger tolerance for launch point than a gunline and … theoretically … could be engaged with enemies while firing. Not that this has been done as far as I know. But we do practice for it.

So what I am envisioning is that type of two disjunct battles, connected by the call for fire and barrages.

Legion 414 Apr 2019 8:46 a.m. PST

The same could be said about CAS. But both Naval and Air dominance are two different battles. Than what is going on, on the ground.

Basically all Off-board support, CAS, Naval, distant batteries and Orbital can be handled in the same way. For ground based games.

Based on our experience with war gaming, etc. We choose a set of rules that generally allows @ 25% of your basic force level total, i.e. how many points you have for your force/for that game. To choose units, based the size of the game, on the scenario, etc. You can take/buy a max of25% of your force level for off-board support fires. Sometimes can include certain type(s) of missiles, or generally just HE or both.

E.g. 1000 pt. force level = 250 pts for Off-board Support fires. So say 100 points for some sort of "special" missile, rocket or bombs. Then 150 for some sort of just basic HE. Regardless of from where any of it comes from. Assets on the ground, i.e. lnog range off-board artillery. In the air as CAS/air strike. At sea or off-board riverine. Or since we do sci-fi Orbital. From platforms and/or spacecraft.

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP15 Apr 2019 2:12 p.m. PST

Okay, this is making me imagine a twotable game, where one table represents a ground battle, while the other table represents a space battle high above. The ground forces could call in support from the space forces on the other table, while that same support is hindered or prevented based on the action in the space battle. For a twist, the ground forces might be able to impact the space battle through assets on the ground. Could be an interesting idea. I know I'm not the first to come up with this idea (in fact, the Risk: Star Wars game of the Battle of Endor is largely built around this concept, though on a much simpler scale). And certainly I suspect that some real world amphibious assaults might have elements of this (with the naval battle being the equivalent of my imagined space battle). Has anyone here attempted such a thing on the grand scale I'm imagining?

TheGaffer15 Apr 2019 4:31 p.m. PST

We ran a three table battle at the HMGS cons. A 15mm strategic battle, a 25mm/28mm skirmish, and a space battle.

What happened on one board affected the other two. The random orbital bombardments were a hoot. We did not try to keep the turns in sequence between the three tables.

We used Ravnestar's BSG ships for the space piece with full thrust for the rules.

Might have to run it at Fall In this year. It's been a while.

Aotrs Commander21 Apr 2019 6:33 a.m. PST

As often as possible. These days, it is dependant on whether my mate can make a Thursday evening mostly, and it's not the three-to-four week period before a convention.

So maybe an average of about once a month at the moment (but we've not managed more than one or two since Christmas this year, unfortunately); while I was working on Accelerate & Attack, other mates of mine were around more and I was playing nearly every week.

demiurgex10 May 2019 10:20 a.m. PST

Once a every few months, but that has more to do with availability than enthusiasm.

My game room is 50% spaceships – I've probably got 50+ fleets of various universes.

Between that, my own game design, and my 3d printer, I'll have enough toys to play with until I die. :D

tkdguy27 May 2019 4:29 p.m. PST

Not as often as I used to. I haven't done much wargaming this year, starships or otherwise. That may change in the near future, as I have been looking at my Starmada books (Compendium and Nova), as well as my Cold Navy miniatures.

Pages: 1 2