Help support TMP

"Leaving Earth Becomes the Ultimate Nightmare In the " Topic

3 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Media Message Board

Areas of Interest

Science Fiction

426 hits since 5 Mar 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango0105 Mar 2019 10:16 p.m. PST

…Swedish Sci-Fi Film Aniara.

"So many sci-fi movies these days are about humanity being forced to leave Earth to live on another planet. So, to stand out, you've got to do something different. Something terrifying. And it seems that's exactly what the new film, Aniara, does.

Based on a 1956 poem by Swedish Nobel Prize-winning writer Harry Martinson, Aniara is about a ship that's supposed to get people quickly and safely from Earth to Mars in three weeks. Obviously though, that doesn't happen. And…just watch the trailer to see the rest…."
Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

Oberlindes Sol LIC06 Mar 2019 11:31 a.m. PST

I read the poem in English when I was in college. If I recall correctly, they determine that the ship will drift for some 40,000 years before returning to Earth.

The poem was quite moving, although I'm not sure the math is right. I come up with 39.402 quadrillion years to get to Proxima Centauri at a constant velocity of 692,000 km/hr, the speed of the fastest space probe to date (the Parker solar probe).

Tacitus06 Mar 2019 12:30 p.m. PST

The one in the poem was turbo.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.