Help support TMP

"The Department: Murder Sweep" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Battle Reports Message Board

Areas of Interest

Science Fiction

295 hits since 23 Feb 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Ludanto23 Feb 2019 10:22 p.m. PST

More cyborg hunting with "The Department" (of Fabricant Management).
This time, it's a "Murder Sweep". Somebody's been killed, and the murderer is probably still around…

link

Personal logo PaulCollins Supporting Member of TMP23 Feb 2019 10:44 p.m. PST

Very entertaining. I look forward to more adventures. Thanks for the post.

Hades wolf24 Feb 2019 9:56 a.m. PST

Owing to this most magnificent thread, I have just downloaded "The Department" to use with my somewhat electic 28mm sci-fi miniature collection.

Good stuff keep it going, and I hope that I have half as much fun as you appear to be having :) :`

Great stuff

Glen

Ludanto24 Feb 2019 1:09 p.m. PST

Mwaha! I've turned another one! ;)

Raptoruk369 Supporting Member of TMP25 Feb 2019 4:53 a.m. PST

More than one I am afraid………..cue evil laugh lol

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP26 Feb 2019 6:08 p.m. PST

Interesting game. I like the concept, though in reading your AARs, I think some bits don't quite work right. (Once you've got a guy cuffed, it should be extremely unlikely if not next to impossible that he will get free.) But the "Budget" and "Internal Affairs" bits are intriguing.

Question: Can a player increase the Budget through successful missions? Or is the approach, "Well, you succeeded with that budget, so obviously that budget was all you needed"?
I could see an element where budget might increase if you stumble onto the Big Case that would make all the brass want to be seen as being a part of it (no place is more dangerous than standing between an ambitious DA and a TV camera). Any provision for that?

Ludanto26 Feb 2019 10:02 p.m. PST

Well, they typically need to score 5 successes on four dice, which is impossible, except that sixes count as two successes, and then the math gets weird. It would be easy enough to raise the difficulty.

I haven't pored over the missions, but I don't think there's any way to "find" more Budget, but you can, as a Station Action, ask for more Budget with a Bureaucracy test. I'm not sure it's worth it, though, unless you're already reaching the bottom of the wallet, or you don't have anything better to do with your action.

Thresher01 Supporting Member of TMP26 Feb 2019 10:10 p.m. PST

"Once you've got a guy cuffed, it should be extremely unlikely if not next to impossible that he will get free".

Perhaps in some countries, but in others, prison doors are no better than revolving ones in major department stores.

El Chapo, and many other criminals have frequently escaped, and/or been released.

Look at all the terrorists that have been set free around the globe too.

I'll bet some shoplifters serve more time that many hardened criminals and terrorists from other regions.

Ludanto26 Feb 2019 10:20 p.m. PST

The math escapes me, but simulations put 5 goals on 4 dice at between 10% and 12%. Not so bad.

On the other hand, bumping the TN to 6 drops the success rate to about 3.5%, which might feel better.

Going to TN7 drops the likelihood down to about half a percent, but at that point, why even bother rolling?

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP27 Feb 2019 5:00 p.m. PST

Thresher01: Okay, I was dealing with the immediate physicality of an arrest made (dude on the ground in handcuffs), not the eventual actions of the world's various judicial systems. Unless you're suggesting that the setting of The Department has roving bands of bleeding-heart, corrupt judges who routinely unlock the handcuffs of collared criminals seconds after the cop makes the grab. (Sort of Anti-Dredds, as it were). Not saying that's not a possibility in The Department (science fiction and satire have long been kissing cousins), but I suspect that's not what the escape roll is intended to represent!

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP27 Feb 2019 5:05 p.m. PST

Ludanto: Thanks for the clarification. I must admit the escapes certainly made for a more challenging situation in your accounts!

Is the game entirely structured as co-op players vs. the random actions of the scenario, or does it include structures for opposing forces/players (say either a GM controls the crooks and manages the scenario as an RPG, or as one player controls the investigators and the other controls the replicants, with each group having different scenario goals?

Ludanto27 Feb 2019 7:20 p.m. PST

Parzival:
The game is built for co-op. There's nothing stopping you from having somebody play the fabricants, but there's not really any structure in that regard. Although if you've got a guy willing to be a Game Master anyway, he can certainly make up scenarios and play the NPC humans and fabricants.

Like I said, there's only like a 10% chance per turn of an escape, but I swear it feels like a lot more. :)

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.