Help support TMP

"Round or Square basing?" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Basing Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

387 hits since 11 Feb 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

TheNorthernFront11 Feb 2019 6:37 p.m. PST

I'm just starting out in the middle ages war of the roses and I'm interested in knowing if it's a better idea to base my 28mm army on round bases, square bases, or group bases?

Lucius11 Feb 2019 6:59 p.m. PST

If you are doing massed battles, then I'd go with square bases, 4 infantry or 2 cavalry per base. For skirmish, 1 figure per round base.

Unless your massed rules use WRG basing, in which case, rectangles.

Massed battle vs skirmish is probably the real decision here. Yes, you can put your individual troops on sabots, but I've never been a fan.

Wackmole9 Supporting Member of TMP11 Feb 2019 7:15 p.m. PST

Hi

I would uses round Metal bases, So you can do Small scale actions. Then Uses a Magnetic base for large unit formations.

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP11 Feb 2019 7:38 p.m. PST

I'll chime in with my usual: small actions and skirmishes should be fought with large figures individually based. If you want to fight Towton or Barnet, get lots of small figures on bases which hold multiples. Many people disagree with me, of course. But it does work.

advocate11 Feb 2019 11:31 p.m. PST

If you want flexibility, round bases plus the handy sabot bases is the way to go.
But first, identify the rules you intend to use.

Dexter Ward12 Feb 2019 3:35 a.m. PST

I much prefer square bases to round, even for skirmish games; I clip the corners as I prefer the look. Easier to rank up and to put the figures in sabot bases, and a 20mm square base provides as much basing room as a 25mm round, but is much smaller.

YogiBearMinis Supporting Member of TMP12 Feb 2019 5:06 a.m. PST

I have two issues with 20mm square bases:

(1) When you rank up figures in mass formation, you run into the problem of the figures not fitting right due to overlapping shields, Spears, etc.

(2) On square bases, sometimes the pose of the figure (esp think archers) requires you to base at angles which looks weird as a unit with everyone pointing towards a diagonal.

One solution is to use 25mm square individual bases, but many figure ranges look a little small on that footprint and the base appears too large.

Personal logo Sgt Slag Supporting Member of TMP12 Feb 2019 6:37 a.m. PST

I only use square bases because the rules I use rely upon square bases to clearly define frontage, flanks, and rear.
I split the difference, with square bases, using both individual bases, mixed with bases bearing 2-3 figures each. This allows me to "make change", when pulling off casualties. It also allows more flexibility when forming up the troops: it is not too difficult to arrange them in column, line, etc.

If you want to split the difference between round and square, mount the figures, individually, on steel washers (very inexpensive, in bulk, from a DIY store), and then set these on top of flat, magnet strips, cut to sizes needed. Avoid mounting your figures on magnets! If two adjacent figures' magnets have opposing polarity, they will push away from each other, preventing you from placing them side-by-side.

Sabots, or movement trays, are easy to make: draw out the size and shape, on the surface of inexpensive, peel-n-stick, vinyl floor tile squares (as low as $0.39 USD per square foot, on sale), cut out, peel off the paper, and apply craft foam, cut to size. Then paint the foam the appropriate color. Here is a link to my blog page demonstrating how to use vinyl floor tiles to make sabots: link. Easy, inexpensive, and fast. Cheers!

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP12 Feb 2019 6:27 p.m. PST

I use washers because they're cheap and I can pick them up at Walmart.
I might think differently if I could pick up square steel bases at Walmart. grin

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.