Help support TMP

"My Ancestor George Rose, The Escaped Slave Who" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Action Log

07 Feb 2019 4:19 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from Napoleonic Media boardCrossposted to Napoleonic Discussion board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

306 hits since 7 Feb 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP07 Feb 2019 3:12 p.m. PST

… Became A Waterloo Hero.

"On the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo, we're delighted to share Joanne Murphy's story. Thanks to her family history research, Joanne found that not only did she have an ancestor who fought at Waterloo, Sergeant George Rose, but that he was an escaped Jamaican slave who went on to be the highest-ranking black soldier in a British regiment…."
Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

Old Glory Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Feb 2019 3:47 p.m. PST

Link leads to a sales add and very little story.

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP07 Feb 2019 5:54 p.m. PST

OG, there are links. Two links in you get the story. See whether this does it:
link

He was an escaped Jamaican slave who served in the 2/73rd in Pommerania and Waterloo. Later he enlisted in the 42nd, rising to Sergeant and lending new meaning to the Black Watch. Methodist missionary in later life, so a very full career.

Old Glory Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Feb 2019 6:14 p.m. PST

Much better link, Great story. Thank you.

Regards
Russ Dunaway

John Edmundson07 Feb 2019 11:00 p.m. PST

Interesting story indeed. But what did he do to be a hero? Be there? Get injured? A more catchy title than "My ancestor George Rose, the escaped slave who fought at Waterloo". I kept reading on to see what heroic deed he had performed. Personally I think the story would have been just as interesting. Or am I just a cynic?

John Edmundson

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP08 Feb 2019 11:04 a.m. PST

Glad you enjoyed it my friend.

Amicalement
Armand

Lambert Supporting Member of TMP08 Feb 2019 1:11 p.m. PST

John Edmundson – yes, you're a cynic. Everyone who fought at Waterloo was a hero.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP09 Feb 2019 10:39 a.m. PST

From both sides…

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.