Help support TMP

"Quatre Bras 16th June 1815 3.20 PM" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Gallery Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

834 hits since 1 Feb 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

C M DODSON01 Feb 2019 9:46 a.m. PST

The Battle of Quatre Bras 16th June 1815

Timeline 3.20PM

General situation.

French 9th Infantry Division, Lieutenant-general Maximillien-Sebastion Foy commanding has captured the Ferme de Gemincourt and is advancing towards the crossroads led by Marechal Ney himself.

ERROR - no url for link

French 5th Infantry Division, Lieutenant-general Baron Gilbert-Desiree Bachelu is approaching the Gemicourt stream in support. The advance is slow due to the difficult terrain.

ERROR - no url for link

ERROR - no url for link

Nevertheless the Dutch Belgians have been pushed back across the Gemincourt stream.

ERROR - no url for link

French 6th Regiment de Chevau-Leger Lanciers have attempted to charge the 5th Dutch Militia.

However the Dutch, Lieutenant-Colonel Jan Westernburg commanding have formed square in time and repulse the attack.

ERROR - no url for link

ERROR - no url for link

Contemporaneously, 2nd Legere, Colonel Pierre-Antoine Husson along with 1st Cavalry Brigade, Baron Pierre-Francois Huber have outflanked the Dutch Belgian line of defence and are now advancing down the Namur-Nivelles road towards the crossroads.

ERROR - no url for link

ERROR - no url for link

However,British 8th Infantry Brigade, Major-General Sir James Kempt has begun to deploy along the Nivelles Namur road.

Simultaneously the Netherlands 2nd Light Cavalry Brigade, Major-General Baron Jean-Baptiste van Merlen begins to deploy to frustrate the French cavalry.

ERROR - no url for link

ERROR - no url for link

ERROR - no url for link

In the absence of his Grace The Duke of Wellington, Lieutenant-General Sir Thomas Picton directs the deployment of the British 9th Infantry Brigade, Major-General Sir Dennis Pack commanding.

ERROR - no url for link

Some much needed artillery support arrives in the shape of Brevet Major Thomas Rogers and his No.2 Company Royal Artillery.

ERROR - no url for link

By leading from the front Marechal Ney is unaware that the French 6th Infantry Division commanded by Lieutenant-general Prince Jerome Bonaparte has arrived supported by 2nd Brigade 11th Cavalry Division, Marechall-de-camp Baron Marie-Adrien Guiton.

ERROR - no url for link

Ney is in his element, L'empereur recompensera celui qui s'avancera!

Vive L'empereur!

darthfozzywig Supporting Member of TMP01 Feb 2019 10:04 a.m. PST

Wow!

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP01 Feb 2019 10:06 a.m. PST

I do so look forward to your next posting. I cannot imagine the work that goes into this project. The modelling is amazing but, every time it is the photography that gets me. The natural low angles you use, the depth of focus, the smoke effects.

The seventh pic down has hardly any figures in it. But it is very hard to believe it is not the real thing. Same with the lancers attacking the square. OK it is a still image, but does it have a great sense of movement in it!

This sort of thing does much to reverse the "Sharpe/Mercer" perception of the Netherlands' troops contribution to the final victory. They should have all been in Nivelles by now, not holding a crossroads that was surely being covered by the Prussians further south. Surely…..

Brilliant

4DJones01 Feb 2019 10:23 a.m. PST

Where is your blog? I want to bookmark it.

Artilleryman01 Feb 2019 11:22 a.m. PST

Brilliant! Just Brilliant!

Empires at War Sponsoring Member of TMP01 Feb 2019 12:17 p.m. PST

7th picture is my favourite too. Very realistic.

Lambert Supporting Member of TMP01 Feb 2019 2:29 p.m. PST

Truly wonderful. I never get tired of looking at these.

Personal logo svsavory Supporting Member of TMP01 Feb 2019 9:22 p.m. PST

Great photos, as usual. Thanks for sharing!

Giuseppe Lechi02 Feb 2019 1:06 a.m. PST

Wonderful…and high quality photos…

C M DODSON04 Feb 2019 8:38 a.m. PST

Thank you to everyone for their kind comments.

As stated before this is a re-fight using the units that were present in the original action.

I have introduced some variables such as dicing for movement ala Black Powder to represent the difficulties presented by the tall crops. This has already resulted in the 7th Belgian line infantry being ridden down when a poor score meant they could not move to form square.

I do not have a blog but would like to start a web site for this and Ligny.

In the meantime for those who would like to follow the sequence of events and also the creative process the following links might be of interest.

link

Refight

link

Making of

Many thanks again.

Chris

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.