Help support TMP

"The WWII with the 1/144 scale ?" Topic

30 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

752 hits since 30 Jan 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Paskal Supporting Member of TMP30 Jan 2019 1:07 a.m. PST

The WWII could be nice with the 1/144 scale, but I only find 3 infantry references and two of them are from the beginning of the war … It is therefore not possible for the moment …

advocate30 Jan 2019 2:27 a.m. PST

If you would accept 10mm, have you looked at Pendrakken?
https://pendraken.co.uk/world-war-ii

JimDuncanUK30 Jan 2019 3:56 a.m. PST

Pendraken 10mm are just great for WW2.

link

picture

picture

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP30 Jan 2019 5:23 a.m. PST

I find the minifig range of infantry goes very well with my 1/144th

link

Dave Jackson Supporting Member of TMP30 Jan 2019 6:14 a.m. PST

look at Magister Militum as well. Believe they are still casting Perrrin Miniatures 10mm WWII

parrskool30 Jan 2019 7:39 a.m. PST

Hmmmm ….. any news on the BKC 3 edition as yet?

JimDuncanUK30 Jan 2019 8:44 a.m. PST

@parrskool

link

Steamingdave230 Jan 2019 10:50 a.m. PST

@ Paskal:
I have a lot of 1/144 vehicles from Cando, Trumpeter, Minifigs, Arrowhead Miniatures, Panzer Depot etc. They range from Vickers light tanks through to King Tigers. I use Minifigs and Pendraken infantry with them, so possible to cover most of WW2. Arrowhead miniatures do a range of figures as well as superb vehicles.

TMP link

JimDuncanUK30 Jan 2019 11:11 a.m. PST

TMP link does not exist

UshCha30 Jan 2019 11:34 a.m. PST

Most 10mm are really nearer 12mm anyway so go fine with 1/144. We use a lot of 10/12mm figs with 1/144 vehicles.

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP30 Jan 2019 12:10 p.m. PST

Here is the Arrowhead website:
https://arrowheadminiatures.co.uk

And agree, some excellent 1/144th scale vehicles. Can not comment on their infantry but pictures look good.

10mm Wargaming30 Jan 2019 3:11 p.m. PST

My list of 10mm Useful Wargaming Manufacturers. hope it helps.

As always, comments are appreciated.

Take care

Andy

Thresher01 Supporting Member of TMP30 Jan 2019 6:16 p.m. PST

Pendraken, Minifigs, and Arrowhead ALL work for 1/144th scale, even though some are listed as 10mm (they're 10mm – 12mm'ish, and I consider 1/144th scale to be 12mm).

Not sure on the Perrin figs, but have seen some people commenting about mixing in their troops and vehicles too with the other manufacturers' stuff.

Paskal Supporting Member of TMP31 Jan 2019 12:51 a.m. PST

Thank you all,

Normally what is the size of a human figure at 1/144?

JimDuncanUK31 Jan 2019 2:47 a.m. PST

6 foot or 72 inches divided by 144 is 0.5 inches.

Montgomery OTool31 Jan 2019 3:52 a.m. PST

The average height during WWII was 5'8 which at 1/144 = 12mm

Steamingdave231 Jan 2019 10:21 a.m. PST

Don't know why my link came out as a TMP link. Copied and pasted the Arrowhead website url; my iPad sometimes has a mind of its own!
Thanks for providing proper link Marc33594.

Don't have any of the new Arrowhead infantry but have the crew for British 25 pounder and they are lovely figures, full of character and a joy to paint.

Paskal Supporting Member of TMP01 Feb 2019 9:47 a.m. PST

12 mm is the best to go with vehicles currently sold at the scale of 1/144 th?

Personal logo 28mm Fanatik Supporting Member of TMP01 Feb 2019 1:12 p.m. PST

Let's put this in a bit of perspective. Is a difference of 2mm in such teeny weeny figures even be noticeable enough to worry about mixing compatibility among the various manufacturers' ranges?

I mean, I would almost rather play a board game with nicely illustrated counters than play with minis this small.

Paskal Supporting Member of TMP02 Feb 2019 12:35 a.m. PST

Not me, the figures will always be better than counters, even nicely illustrated, and 2mm on small figurines make a huge difference, the bigger the figurines, the better …

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP02 Feb 2019 7:05 a.m. PST

Perhaps because you are a 28mm Fanatik :)

Seriously they look surprisingly good at 10-12mm scale. I mount 4 figures for small arms and 5 figures to weapon stands to make it easy to tell them apart quickly. But you can easily see the mortars on my mortar heavy weapon stands vice the MGs on my heavy MG stands. And then you have the vehicles which are very nice. In the case of some lines, like Dragon CanDo, come with a superb paint job already. While I am also a boardgame fanatic I still find 1/144th very satisfying.

As to differences between 10 and 12mm it is why most of us prefer a scale, such as 1/144th. Some manufacturers will call their figures 12mm when they scale out smaller than 1/144th and some 10mm scale out larger and closer to 1/144th. As to infantry, as long as the weapons are not grossly different, some variety is nice. Not all soldiers were/are the exact same height!

UshCha02 Feb 2019 10:13 a.m. PST

Seriously I would rather play a board game than play with 28mm figures, I can see no reason to have such oversized figures, hopeless for playing. ;-.

In volume terms (how you perceive size on the table top) 12mm vehicles and men are 70% bigger than 10mm. Probably why lots of "10mm" figures are really 12mm and why more vehicles are coming out in 1/144.

There is the same problem as with bigger figures that the figures are not scale often being circus freaks so never look like they will fit in the vehicle despite being about scale height. However most folk like freaks with detail than real with less detail as they are scale. Me I print my own near scale 12mm figs with low detail (too small to put detail on).

Some of AOTRS Shipyards stuff is almost better than Can Do. trouble with Can Do its detail is really too fine, making it impractical on the tabletop. The fine detail does not stand regular play.

Paskal Supporting Member of TMP03 Feb 2019 1:07 a.m. PST

@ Marc33594:

So we should know which manufactures are true 1/144?

@UshCha:

In the game, it's not only the game, it's the historical side and the uniformology and the uniform details,that interests me the most, so I spend a crazy time changing my figures because I want to see the uniform details on the figures …

Hence my interest for the 25/40 mm …

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP03 Feb 2019 4:51 a.m. PST

Paskal. Some manufacturers state their scale. Dragon CanDo, World Tank Museum, and Arrowhead miniatures, as 3 examples, state they are 1/144th and indeed are. The confusion is many others sell their as 10 or 12mm which isnt a scale. Supposedly 12mm is 1/144th but many of us have found size issues with those so advertised.

That is why many of us advocate stating a true scale. One may not know exactly what is meant by 20mm but 1/72nd is quite clear. We see time and again folks asking if company Xs 10/12mm vehicles are compatible with company Ys 10/12mm vehicles but if one states 1/144th then no question.

UshCha03 Feb 2019 5:01 a.m. PST

I think Can Do is good for WW2. Most of our other ww2 stuff is injection moulded but from companies no longer peoduceing so cany help othetr than Infantry. My main supplier is AOTRS Shipyards but they are mainly Modern.

Paskal Supporting Member of TMP04 Feb 2019 12:50 a.m. PST

@ Marc33594:

You write "We do not know exactly what we mean by 20 mm," ???, I know the metric system well, 20 mm is 20 mm, if you prefer, it is 2 cm …

@UshCha:

What's Can Do?

There are 12 or 10mm figures representing British soldiers in 1894 in Britain in home service full dress or representing British soldiers in one of their last colonial wars of the nineteenth century?

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP04 Feb 2019 7:43 a.m. PST

I mean scale wise. Does that mean all infantry is 20mm high? Where do you measure from. Also vehicles. Is that every foot is 20mm? Every 6 feet 20mm? If one states a vehicle is 1/72nd scale that is exact and one can measure a vehicle and compare it to the actual stats for the vehicle and check accuracy. Further all other manufacturers who claim 1/72nd should match. However when a manufacturer claims it is 20mm what does it mean? Its one reason you see all the time here folks saying company Xs 20mm Pz IV is smaller/larger than company Ys 20mm Pz IV.

Paskal Supporting Member of TMP05 Feb 2019 12:38 a.m. PST

Or you are right as the sculptors of masters do not respect the real scales, even for vehicles or guns (for the living beings it is less serious because there are multiple variants of appearances …) as well to say what is the point?

Nevertheless there is a very simple technique, you have a minature representing a vehicle whose dimensions are well known and immutable, well you calculate the exact scale of this vehicle and then it will serve as a reference for you to know the real size that would make the human beings represented by the figures that you will use with your miniature representing a vehicle.

You'll see if it's realistic or not …

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP05 Feb 2019 8:27 a.m. PST

Paskal, think we may finally be in agreement! Indeed take a vehicle and properly scale it and now match your figures to it. Providing other manufacturers do the same with their vehicles then I think the figures should match more closely.

One last thing is I would like to see a bit more variety in the figures. Most sculptors do this by varying the pose, which is fine, but as you point out not all humans are the same size. As long as things like weapons they carry remain the same how about some taller or shorter characters? Maybe a bit stout and/or a bit slim.

Anyway, have drifted from original question.

Paskal Supporting Member of TMP07 Feb 2019 12:23 a.m. PST

Yes Marc33594,this is possible even for uniforms and equipment that can be of many sizes (such as helmets) but not for weapons …

So you need weapons in separate parts and this is only valid for large figurines (25, 28, 30 mm, ect …) and in this case, it can even have a nice rendering.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.