Help support TMP

"any plastic Napoleonics on offer UK?" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

685 hits since 27 Jan 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Marc the plastics fan27 Jan 2019 1:26 p.m. PST

Just wondering who people are using to get a good deal. I see Wayland are doing 10% off so wondered if anyone was going better than this in the UK. Thanks

JimDuncanUK27 Jan 2019 1:54 p.m. PST

You can usually get a good deal buying in bulk at a show.

There's a show in York next Sunday.

Marc the plastics fan27 Jan 2019 2:32 p.m. PST

Lol. Sadly, from where I live p&p would be cheaper and no discount would balance the cost of going that far for Vapnartak

JimDuncanUK27 Jan 2019 2:57 p.m. PST

Vapnartak is a 4 hour drive there and 4 hour drive back for me. I'll be there though.

Marc the plastics fan27 Jan 2019 11:41 p.m. PST

Enjoy the show Jim

Anybody else have any UK based suggestions. Looking to better the Wayland 10% discount. Thanks

Personal logo 4th Cuirassier Supporting Member of TMP28 Jan 2019 4:00 a.m. PST

I find the sellers modelsforsaleltd and flagbearer101 on the 'Bay to be pretty reasonable.

I do find two issues with plastics though. One is that there are usually a lot of redundant figures you can't use.

The worst example of this must be the Airfix French infantry. I look at these now and I wonder that I ever persisted with Napoleonics from a start like these. You nominally get 45 "pieces" per set. Three of these "pieces" are the officer and his horse, however, so that leaves 42 potential combatants. Among these 42 are two dead men and one carrying a wounded comrade, which takes you down to 39 usable combatant figures. Six of these are loading figures so sculpted that they occupy more width than any other figure, or even a 28mm metal figure, and won't fit into my standard frontage. So from 45, we're already down to 33.

Of these, there are four figures who appear inexplicably to be hopping on one leg while listening to the barrel of their muskets, and are too daft to use; which leaves 29. Two of these 29 appear to be squatting almost on their heels and wielding their muskets like guitar heroes, which is also silly and leaves 27. One of these is an eagle bearer who has a flag, but no eagle, who is dressed exactly the same as everyone else, even though he is an officer. Of the 26 left, one's a bugler. Buglers are spurious in line units at least.

Of the 25 remaining figures, one's a drummer, 11 are standing firing or kneeling firing, six are marching (with musket on the wrong shoulder for rank-and-file), four appear to be parrying with their bayonet, and the other three are kneeling on guard. All these are usable.

Thus in a French box of 45 "pieces", only 25 of them 56% are usable, largely down to gratuitous pose variation. But it actually wasn't even as good as that, because these 25 usable figures didn't then assemble conveniently into units composed the way I wanted them. An 18-figure, six-company battalion needed three standing firing for the grenadier company, three kneeling firing for the voltigeur company, one to three command figures, and thus between nine and eleven further figures, in a single stance, for the fusilier companies. There aren't eleven such figures in a set, nor even nine so to make just one tidy-looking battalion requires more than one set.

Even today, if you want 95th Rifles, the Italeri are lovely but unless you're doing skirmish, few people are going to need 48 of them. Likewise the HaT Grenadiers a Cheval, where 12 aren't enough but 24 are too many unless you are using generous unit sizes (although you can use the spares as elite company dragoons).

The other thing is this "pieces" malarkey, which is irritating generally. HaT 8297, their Napoleonic French Command set, looks stonking value at £7.99 GBP for 92 pieces from flagbearer101 including delivery. 92 pieces! Ooo! 92 blokes! Er, no. This is four identical sprues of 24 "pieces" each, with five foot figures and one mounted officer apiece. So twenty blokes and four officers, not 92.

I guess you just bag up your spares and flog them on the 'bay as spares.

bruntonboy28 Jan 2019 5:23 a.m. PST

Think the question refers to 28mm wargames plastic sets rather than the 1/72 sets aimed at the toy market.

Griefbringer28 Jan 2019 7:07 a.m. PST

If you are into Perry figures, Caliver books has a deal of any five plastic boxes (not necessarily Napoleonics) for £87.00 GBP, postage included.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP28 Jan 2019 7:19 a.m. PST

To quote "rather than the 1/72 sets aimed at the toy market"

Oh this should be good…….

I can hear "The Plastics Fan" and the many German modellers wailing and gnashing their teeth in response.

Marc the plastics fan28 Jan 2019 9:56 a.m. PST

Nah, I'm chill. For my own gaming i am 1/72 through and through. But this is a project with my eldest (when he gets time with his AFP) so I am looking for 28mm. Perry, Victrix and maybe Warlord

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.