Help support TMP

"Complete noob in Napoleonic wargaming" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Getting Started with Napoleonics Message Board

Action Log

11 Jan 2019 8:45 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Changed starttime from
    11 Jan 2019 1:56 p.m. PST
    to
    11 Jan 2019 1:55 p.m. PST
  • Removed from Sharp Practice board
  • Crossposted to Getting Started with Napoleonics board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

510 hits since 11 Jan 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Henrik lj11 Jan 2019 2:55 p.m. PST

Hi all,
I am just starting out, and have startet by bying General d'armee, which I think is a great set of rules.
I have decided to try AB 18mm figures. They seem pretty detailed. And I am planning to buy som Osprey books on the armies I want in order to get the plates to figure out the paint schemes for my figures. 3 questions remain still unanswered to me.
1. How do I create two well balanced armies. Are there any point system I can use?
2. How do I determined what level a unit is (conscript,veteran etc.)?
3. Where can I get some good OOB's from in order to collect the right units?

I know that the units changed quite a bit over time, and I haven't decided the period yet. I think I will be assembling french and eithe Austrians og Prussians to begin with
Please be gentle. I am quite a novice in this period, but I find it extremely exiciting

JimDuncanUK11 Jan 2019 3:36 p.m. PST

Henrik

You might want to ask your questions on a more appropriate board.

This board is for interest in 'Sharp Practice' which is a completely different ruleset.

Have a look at the other Napoleonic boards, perhaps the 'Getting Started' board would be better.

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP11 Jan 2019 4:03 p.m. PST

You are best off picking a battle to build to. You can then research that army for units, uniforms and morale level. Plus, you will get a realistic army.

So maybe a certain division at Asspern Essling, for example.

Decide on the battle first, then just google "my battle name order of battle"

rustymusket Supporting Member of TMP11 Jan 2019 4:22 p.m. PST

There is a lot to learn in the Napoleonic period and the journey is at least half the fun! Be sure to have fun and enjoy! If you have not read much, start reading about the period. It will add to the fun.

davbenbak12 Jan 2019 5:03 p.m. PST

My humble advise would be that if you want to fight Prussians to pick the 1813-14 era. If it is the Austrians then 1804-09.

This should help with which uniforms styles you need for each.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.