Help support TMP

"Still enjoying Vikings?" Topic

27 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Dark Ages Message Board

Back to the Medieval Media Message Board

Areas of Interest

Medieval

943 hits since 11 Jan 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Flashman14 Supporting Member of TMP11 Jan 2019 1:18 p.m. PST

The History Channel series …. I'm at S1:E6 and see the episode count skyrockets after this one. So far so good though.

Benvartok11 Jan 2019 1:20 p.m. PST

No, last season was a struggle and this one I have managed only till Ivar became a god. It has certainly jumped the longship.

Still an enjoyable first few seasons and worth a watch plus Ragnar lives on, in 28mm, in my army thanks to Stronghold miniature.

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP11 Jan 2019 1:21 p.m. PST

I could never get past the way the lead Viking talked. Ragnar just annoyed the Hel out of me.

tigrifsgt11 Jan 2019 1:24 p.m. PST

Less and less with each episode.

Wargamer Blue11 Jan 2019 1:28 p.m. PST

I'm really enjoying it

Old Peculiar11 Jan 2019 1:37 p.m. PST

The series has been rubbish from start to present, but reasonable couch potato fodder!

Personal logo svsavory Supporting Member of TMP11 Jan 2019 2:41 p.m. PST

My wife and I find it entertaining. I myself am more interested in the goings-on in England, though.

Old Glory Sponsoring Member of TMP11 Jan 2019 3:54 p.m. PST

Accepting the realities of what is is, my wife and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Hlaven Supporting Member of TMP11 Jan 2019 5:02 p.m. PST

Not as good to me now as previous seasons and characters. But I still enjoy it. I never miss a new episode and or record it.

Personal logo Doctor X Supporting Member of TMP11 Jan 2019 9:38 p.m. PST

It has certainly jumped the longship.

Well said

ZULUPAUL Supporting Member of TMP12 Jan 2019 1:50 a.m. PST

Watched one show, didn't care for it.

Vigilant12 Jan 2019 5:18 a.m. PST

The current season (5) looks good but has totally given up on history. I could accept the stories around Ragnar as part of the Norse Saga style, where actual history was second to a good story. But when you start changing recorded history with the goings on at Alfred's court changing who was king, how they died etc it is getting harder to watch. The characters are still fun, but the stories are getting painful to watch.

Personal logo Saber6 Supporting Member of TMP Fezian12 Jan 2019 7:05 a.m. PST

I prefer Norsemen

Perris070712 Jan 2019 8:14 a.m. PST

Still can't stand to look at the Wessex soldiers and their 15th century helmets. Rest of the show is ok. At least the Vikings haven't leaped over the shield wall to attack the Saxons…

kodiakblair12 Jan 2019 8:42 a.m. PST

Stopped watching once they reached France.

Old Glory Sponsoring Member of TMP12 Jan 2019 4:37 p.m. PST

Its dark ages Fantasy -- that's all.

nevinsrip Sponsoring Member of TMP12 Jan 2019 11:15 p.m. PST

Hail Ivar!!!

nevinsrip Sponsoring Member of TMP12 Jan 2019 11:21 p.m. PST

"Still can't stand to look at the Wessex soldiers and their 15th century helmets."

In a country where more than 75% of the people can't name the Vice President, you're worried about 15 th century Wessex helmets?
Take a random sample of 10 people and see how many even know where Wessex is?

Thanks, Perris. I got a real chuckle out of that.

Pan Marek Supporting Member of TMP13 Jan 2019 8:22 a.m. PST

Another thread proving that TMPers should never, ever watch any TV, films or Youtube having anything to do with an historical period.

Why do they do it? They clearly do not enjoy it.

kodiakblair13 Jan 2019 11:39 a.m. PST

Folks do know this show has been cancelled ?

GGouveia13 Jan 2019 1:31 p.m. PST

Not cancelled, really a closing after the next season. Michael Hirst has another Viking series planned that covers I'm guessing the 11th century perhaps.

kodiakblair14 Jan 2019 11:17 a.m. PST

@GGouveia

"in early development" doesn't mean anything will get made.

Viewers numbers dropped by nearly 15% from S:5 Ep1 to S:5 Ep17. Figures are worse among the 18-49 demograph, down 28.97%.

Of course Mr Hirst has plans for a spin-off,that's his job,but whether any network finances it is another matter.

Herce Salon de Guerre14 Jan 2019 1:11 p.m. PST

hopefully the next one he makes will not be bikies in longships

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP14 Jan 2019 4:08 p.m. PST

I highly suspect that in the Sagas history took a back seat to a good story also. With the usual caveats of who was the writer writing for.

I have no historical bones to pick. I just don't like the actor playing Ragnar. grin
Please do not act as if I'm required to watch a show simply because it's semi historical. I had a good fun time watching "Turn", especially with Snidely Whiplash as Simcoe. I even converted a 28mm mounted officer to resemble him.

dapeters15 Jan 2019 10:02 a.m. PST

I have to say I agree why do almost all of the male characters speak the way they do? Yes it's also a guilty pleasure.

bigdennis Supporting Member of TMP16 Jan 2019 10:57 a.m. PST

I like it very much. Great production values and characters

Lost Wolf18 Jan 2019 3:26 p.m. PST

I enjoy it. Ivar was bad enough until he was bewitched.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.