Help support TMP

"The Via Regia – Lutzen 1632 Blog – Salute 2019" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the Renaissance Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

General
Renaissance

604 hits since 6 Jan 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Charge The Guns06 Jan 2019 5:37 a.m. PST

I have just posted the first couple of entries for a new blog I have started, with some gaming chums, describing our preparations for a demo games at Salute in April.

We are going to be refighting Lutzen, 1632, with Pike and Shotte (of course!).

Lots of work underway, as you'd expect, so more entries to follow soon :-)

link

link

KYPD3806 Jan 2019 9:48 a.m. PST

Good luck

Charge The Guns07 Jan 2019 6:21 a.m. PST

Thanks KYPD38 :-)

Charge The Guns14 Jan 2019 4:24 a.m. PST

An update on general progress on the blog here: link

Charge The Guns14 Jan 2019 6:01 a.m. PST

Picture missing from earlier post

Charge The Guns22 Jan 2019 3:18 p.m. PST

Another update on the blog as the armies continue to muster. This week looking at Flags, Fur and Formations!

link

Piccolomini25 Jan 2019 1:27 p.m. PST

Just re-posting link contained in one of the comments …

link

Not often you get 350+ pages in English on a single Thirty Years War battle !

Charge The Guns25 Jan 2019 3:34 p.m. PST

Hi Piccolomini – it's a great, detailed account, and a very interesting study of the battlefield archeology. I wish someone would publish it. I'd happily buy a hardcopy. I was stunned when google came up with it.

Daniel S26 Jan 2019 12:53 a.m. PST

Dr. Schürger's thesis is a superb example of how valuable battlefield archaeology can be, from disproving the existence of ditches/trenches along the Via Regia to the reconstruction of the infantry battle based on the musket shot. Really makes me lament that some battlefields such as Breitenfeld have be badly damaged by urban expansion.

The weakest part of the thesis for me was the reconstruction of the cavalry battle, in particular Pappenheim's counterattack, Dr. Schürger seems to follow Brzezinski's idea from the various Ospreys that Swedish cavalry was rather inferior with limited chance in a stand-up fight and tries to reconstruct Pappenheim's attack as a significant success.
Which is odd given that the post-battle court martial has witness describing Pappenheim's most important cavalry units routing left and right together with some of the regiments already on the field while Pappenheim himself was mortally wounded and almost captured as none of the Imperial troops wanted to come to his assistance. Combined with a lack of trophies from the Swedish units in the area I find it hard to buy that Pappenheim's attack was successful.

I actually do think that Stålhandske and the Swedish right wing had to withdraw back behind the Via Regia as described but not because of Pappenheim's attack but rather because of the great damage that Piccolomini did to the various Swedish units which left Stålhandske's troops unsupported and in danger of being cut off.

Charge The Guns29 Jan 2019 4:13 p.m. PST

This week's update on the preparations for Lutzen at Salute 2019.
link

Some foot Command groups.

Charge The Guns05 Feb 2019 3:54 p.m. PST

A further update to my Lutzen blog. This time some more building work.

link

Codsticker05 Feb 2019 10:57 p.m. PST

Great progress.

Charge The Guns06 Feb 2019 3:19 p.m. PST

Thanks, Codsticker!

Charge The Guns16 Feb 2019 4:10 p.m. PST

A quick update on the blog with a mini tutorial on platformed artillery bases.

link

The finished product.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.