Help support TMP

"Captured Japanese Rations may be Eaten" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

587 hits since 1 Jan 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP01 Jan 2019 12:01 p.m. PST

"Captured Japanese rations—particularly certain types of canned foods which were familiar items in American grocery stores prior to the war—may furnish welcome variety to U.S. troops as auxiliary rations or for emergency use. (This statement of course presupposes that the use of such captured foods has been approved by competent and proper authorities.)

Some enemy foods, such as canned crabmeat, salmon, tuna, mandarin orange sections, canned pineapple and other fruits, rice, tea, and sugar, are familiar to American tastes. These items can easily be used provided that they are in good condition. Certain other Japanese foods, including dried fish, edible seaweed, pickled radishes, and pre-cooked rice flour, are strange to most American tastes. But, if rations are short, these items may be eaten and will supply nourishment….."
Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

Personal logo The Virtual Armchair General Sponsoring Member of TMP01 Jan 2019 12:24 p.m. PST

Neat Article!

But follow the link back to the collection of US Intelligence Booklets for WW II. Details on enemy tactics, weapons, and more--perfect for WW II gamers!

link

TVAG

Lee49401 Jan 2019 2:56 p.m. PST

Yeah but who really wants to eat pickled gefilta fish to spice up their diet???

BW195901 Jan 2019 5:13 p.m. PST

Well the guy's from Wisconsin and Minnesota might like the gefilta fish, and it should taste better then a McD's fillet o'fish

Thresher0101 Jan 2019 7:14 p.m. PST

Perhaps it should, but my money's on the McD's fish sandwich being better, hands down.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP02 Jan 2019 10:17 a.m. PST

Glad you enjoyed it my friend!. (smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Legion 402 Jan 2019 1:35 p.m. PST

When you're hungry you may not be too choosy about what you eat !

Personal logo miniMo Supporting Member of TMP02 Jan 2019 8:47 p.m. PST

I always got the impression that any change of pace from standard military rations and cooking was welcome.

My dad was a WW2 Navy veteran, and he never wanted to eat rice again in his live after all the Navy cooking!

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP03 Jan 2019 3:24 p.m. PST

(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Legion 403 Jan 2019 3:39 p.m. PST

Hey back in my day IIRC there was only 12 different C-Rats ! old fart evil grin

Lion in the Stars03 Jan 2019 4:00 p.m. PST

I always got the impression that any change of pace from standard military rations and cooking was welcome.

Dates to at least the ACW, maybe earlier. Pickets would meet and trade, say, bacon for tobacco or whatever.

Legion 404 Jan 2019 7:26 a.m. PST

And from even before the AWI on, "foraging" was a standard by all armies/forces. E.g. in WWII many times troops would come across an abandoned farmhouse, buildings, etc. And check it out for more than just "tactical" reasons. I.e. there may be chow and "drink" inside !

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.