Help support TMP

"Morocco murders: Tourist killings suspects 'backed IS'" Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2009-present) Message Board

Areas of Interest

Modern

872 hits since 20 Dec 2018
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango0120 Dec 2018 3:33 p.m. PST

"Four men arrested over the murders of two Scandinavian women in southern Morocco had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group in a video shared on social media, a prosecutor says.

Louisa Vesterager Jespersen, 24, from Denmark, and Maren Ueland, 28, from Norway, were found dead from knife wounds near a popular tourist spot.

The Moroccan prosecutor said the video was recorded before the murders…."
Main page
link

Be aware!

Amicalement
Armand

14Bore20 Dec 2018 4:10 p.m. PST

Read about this, very sad for two young women to end that way.

Thresher01 Supporting Member of TMP21 Dec 2018 8:53 p.m. PST

I'm amazed at how many people don't seem to give a second thought to where they travel.

For many, they're just lucky to not have bad stuff happen to them.

Some others aren't.

A terrible shame.

Of course, now, even staying at home is a crapshoot too, in much of the EU.

Tango0122 Dec 2018 12:30 p.m. PST

Glup….!

Amicalement
Armand

Gunfreak Supporting Member of TMP22 Dec 2018 4:01 p.m. PST

I'm amazed at how many people don't seem to give a second thought to where they travel

You mean like the United States?
With a murder rate of 5.4 per 100 000 vs Marocco with a murder rate of 1.24 per 100 000?

28mm Fanatik22 Dec 2018 7:00 p.m. PST

Glup? Is that Spanish for "Gulp"?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian22 Dec 2018 9:10 p.m. PST

With a murder rate of 5.4 per 100 000 vs Marocco with a murder rate of 1.24 per 100 000?

I would bet that Morocco doesn't report all the murders…

Dn Jackson22 Dec 2018 9:59 p.m. PST

I'm often amazed at where Europeans are willing to go on holiday. With my perspective on the world, police officer, vet, historian, etc. I find it hard to believe people are willing to go to places like Morocco, North Korea, China, Syria, Cuba, etc.

I know it is a cultural difference, but I still don't understand it.

I hope these poor girls rest in peace.

goragrad23 Dec 2018 12:03 a.m. PST

Actually, Gunfreak, if one avoids the gang dominated areas of inner cities the murder rate in the US is much lower.

For example –

while Chicago has drawn widespread attention for its soaring murder total in recent years, its murder rate in 2016 28 murders and non-negligent manslaughters per 100,000 residents was less than half of the rate in St. Louis (60 per 100,000) and far below the rate of Baltimore (51 per 100,000).

23rdFusilier Supporting Member of TMP23 Dec 2018 4:46 a.m. PST

I truly do not understand this fear and loathing of traveling outside the USA that is expressed here. How many of you have traveled outside of your country? I do not mean while in the service, but actually traveled? My daughter lived and taught in China for two years. A small university about a mile south of Beijing. Never a problem, traveled about. I went to Cuba this year; extremely friendly welcoming people. Never a problem. Heck, I walked the streets of Havana at 3 am. Individuals i spoke to took the time to walk with me to point out the monument the USS Maine. Similar experience in Eastern Europe. Yes some parts of Mexico were sketchy but for the most part the locals were welcoming and friendly and watched out for you. Fellow workers have traveled more extensively and also never had a issue.

please, stop listening to the fear mongering and get out more!

coopman23 Dec 2018 6:23 a.m. PST

How long ago did you do those things 23rd? The world is rapidly changing…

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian23 Dec 2018 6:41 a.m. PST

I truly do not understand this fear and loathing of traveling outside the USA that is expressed here.

I truly do not understand where you got that from. It is common sense not to travel to dangerous places; nobody said that all foreign countries were dangerous!

Coincidentally, I was discussing this with Editor Gwen last night. She said that while there were Americans in her province (mostly military), that she would not recommend that American civilians travel there. Just not safe.

23rdFusilier Supporting Member of TMP23 Dec 2018 7:37 a.m. PST

Cuban this year, eastern Europe this year. China four years ago. Longer if you count Great Britain and France. Mexico last year and year before.

Most danger place? Great Britian in the early 1980's due to IRA terrorists and their bombing campaign. But again I never ran in to any trouble. Funny how we Americans forgot about (excused) those terrorists!

Thresher01 Supporting Member of TMP23 Dec 2018 11:48 a.m. PST

I have no desire to travel to places controlled by totalitarian regimes especially communist ones.

Mexico is far more dangerous than many people realize, and there it seems, many sometimes just torture and kill for sport example, a couple of high-school aged kids were tortured and killed in Tijuana a few weeks ago. Even the seaside resorts are no longer safe, since bars/restaurants regularly get shot up, or have grenades thrown into them. Many Americans get kidnapped for ransom, and others (Americans and Mexicans) just disappear. Afghanistan and Iraq are actually safer than Mexico, and have been for quite some time.

Much of Africa is a hot mess.

Yep, outer areas of the Philippines are "no go" zones for Americans, and even for their military.

I'm sure in all those places, most of the people are fine. It's the criminals, corrupt authorities, soldiers, and gangs/drug dealers I'd worry about, and there are lots of those in many of the above regions.

Tango0123 Dec 2018 4:09 p.m. PST

"Glup? Is that Spanish for "Gulp"?…"

Yes, it is.

Amicalement
Armand

Dn Jackson23 Dec 2018 11:44 p.m. PST

I've done some traveling outside my country. UK, Germany, Massachusetts, Ohio, West Virginia…I'm from Virginia. :)

My point is that some people are willing to travel to countries that the State Department has put out warnings to us to stay away from. I just don't get it.

Other countries I just refuse to go to because, while the people may be friendly and like westerners, it will be a cold day in hell before I spend my money to support a government tat suppresses its own people. Especially a communist one. I'm with Thresher on this.

23rdFusilier Supporting Member of TMP24 Dec 2018 2:53 a.m. PST

Well, I would not want to visit a repressive and tyrannical dictatorship so I have avoided Hungary and Viktor Orban. Nice to seethe people of his country rising up and protesting him.

In addition I have little issue traveling within the United States unlike Dn Jackson does :) although I have had violence and crime happened to me here in our country yet never over seas.

But my point is certain news media in this country paint a picture that spreads fear and loathing. When I visited London I aS told there are no go areas for Christians that enforce shirts law. I never found them. I did find wonderful and friendly people. Same with Mecico, China, Cuba and most everywhere I or my family have gone. I am told the not to believe the news, to not fall for the main stream media but my experience concerning travel outside this country has proved that wrong.

Lost Wolf25 Dec 2018 6:38 p.m. PST

My wife is pretty convincing and she has yet to convince me it is safe to go to Mexico. She almost got to me until I read an article the next day about some heads washing up on the shore of a resort. When my son visited Turkey he was talking about trying to see a little bit of Iran. Fortunately, someone talked some sense into him.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.