Help support TMP

"Anybody remember this article about Napoleonics... " Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

809 hits since 18 Dec 2018
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Virtualscratchbuilder Supporting Member of TMP Fezian18 Dec 2018 6:35 p.m. PST

in Sports Illustrated. This would have been about 1993 +/- a couple years. It was about a couple Denver Broncos players who spent their summers gaming Napoleonics and it showed one player who liked to paint while relaxing in a blow-up kiddy pool.

Love to find that online.

21eRegt18 Dec 2018 6:51 p.m. PST

I remember it. One of the big linemen said words to the effect of: "some do historic simulations, I say I play with toy soldiers. Okay?". I did not however find it in the online archives.

darthfozzywig Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2018 6:54 p.m. PST
mumbasa18 Dec 2018 10:51 p.m. PST

I have met Tom Glassic a few times at local miniature conventions. One of our club members got invited to play a game at his house. Tom gave me a copy of his rules, too. I haven't seen him in years. He is a very humble, gentle giant for sure.
John

Nine pound round19 Dec 2018 5:00 a.m. PST

Sounds like a fun guy. But you know what's most amazing about this article? They managed to get most of the historical references right. Yes, it's a bit of a cringer seeing a French marshal referred to as "field marshal". And we all know pelisses are only trimmed with fur. But by and large, it sounds like the reporter took the time to record the names and talk with him about what was actually going on on the table, so he could put it all together in a manner that people who understood would approve. Can you imagine what this article would look like, if it appeared today in, say, "Slate?"

Lord Hill19 Dec 2018 9:24 a.m. PST

Great work darthfozzywig!

John Leahy20 Dec 2018 7:59 a.m. PST

Article was interesting.

Thanks!

darthfozzywig Supporting Member of TMP20 Dec 2018 4:15 p.m. PST

Glad to help. It was a good read!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.